AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a 84" fixed widescreen with masking system, so that I get better contrast when watching 1.85:1 dvds. Stwart offers three options: 4-way masking; Horizontal masking and Vertical masking.

The 4-way starts at 100" (at least that's what I understood from their website) so is too big for me. From the other two options (horizontal and vertical) which is the best option? What are the differences.

I think the horinzontal is the one for me because I'm able to mask the screen for 1.85:1 dvds or don't use the mask when playing 16:9 dvds. The drawback would be that I won't be able to mask regular 4:3 image. That unless I choose a 4:3 screen and use the horizontal masking for both widescreen modes (1.85:1 and 16:9). But in this case I will get a smaller dvd image and 70% of my viewing will be dvd.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong and/or explain with more details the differences between the 3 masking modes from Stwart?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Vertical Masking - take a 16x9 screen and the masking drops from each side to make it a 4x3

Horizontal Masking - take a 16x9 or 4x3 screen and the masking drops from the top and can make the screen either 1.85 or 2.35

Four Way, combines the both, so you can make a 16x9 screen 4x3, 1.85 or 2.35

I might be mistaken, but I am not sure that by getting a 4x3 with masking, that you will be reducing your 16x9 viewing

For example, if you wanted a 16x9 and wanted it to be 45x80, you would get that. Now if you wanted the 4x3 version of that, you would get the 60x80. So if you got 60x80 screen with masking, then you would be able to watch 16x9 on the 45x80 portion of the screen.

NOw that I think about it, I understand your point, the 4x3 image would be larger than the 16x9 image. Typically, the 4x3 image is usually smaller when you show it on a 16x9 screen. The real question, is how big do you want your 16x9 image to be and then order the 4x3 version of it and not worry about 4x3 image being bigger.

Me personally, I would get the horizontal and not worry so much about 4x3 not being masked.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. The main use for the masking system for me will be masking the dvd movies that still presents black bars in the 16x9 screen. For that reason, i think the horizontal mask (as well as the 4-way) is the way to go, right?

I've already e-mailed Jason @ avscience.com with some questions and asking for a quote. Should I e-mail you instead?

·
Registered
234 Posts
As a minor point of order gents, the horizontal masking system is constant width. There are two mask panels, one emerging from the bottom of the image area, and one dropping down. When this beast is coupled with a projector having a 16:9 native panel, the mask then comes in slightly for 1.85. The panels come in quite a bit further for 2.35. 4:3 would be inset into the 16:9 open screen, with no matte for the pillar box blanking, left and right.

The four way adds vertically deployed pillar box mask for the 4:3. We can and have produced four way or horizontal systems as small as 82" diagonal.

Mark Robinson

Director of Manufacturing

Stewart Filmscreen Corp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.