AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....

I'm new to all this, but trying to understand. My receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX23THX which has several HDMI inputs on the back as well as a dedicated IPOD / usb connection on the front. I don't own an Ipod. Instead, I have my MP3 music stored on an External HDD that goes into a WDTV unit which is connected to the Elite via HDMI. When playing music, the audio is "okay". However - If I simply take a USB memory stick and plug it into the front of the Elite - The system comes alive and sound quality is excellent. I notice the same thing with my BDP320. If I burn music on to a CD and play it from the BluRay (which is also connected to the Elite via HDMI) sound quality is also no where as nice as the direct memory stick route.

How can I get that amazing sound from my hard drive? Unfortunately, the Elite doesn't recognize the HDD when I try hooking it up via usb to the front port. I notice that when using the usb - the receiver indicates "Digital" while the HDMI routes don't. Suggestions ?

Thanks..

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
It's hard to say what the problem is but it could be and sounds like a *level miss match (USB port higher level than the HDMI's). Use a SPL meter to match the levels within 1dB and see what you hear then. Also because of natural prejudice (we all suffer) you should have someone else switch input while you listen.

*perception is that louder music will sound "better" than the same music at a lower level.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You should not be seeing a level difference. Stick or disk, the signal is normalized the same, so the DAC should output the same. I would look elsewhere.

Are you using exactly the same digital coding on the stick as the disk? Loss-less I would hope. If the coding is not identical, that could be the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - same coding. The output or volume level isn't the main concern. Its more the quality of the music. The music on the USB stick is noticeably cleaner and richer. Theres almost a degree of muffledness when it comes through HDMI (either BlurRay or WDTV) Also - The Receiver detects the input and allows controls based on the input type - for instance, I have complete control of such things as base, treble, etc when using the USB but those same features are simply not available when the music is coming from an HDMI connection.

I'm definitely missing something... been all through the manual.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Try going back to the set up menu and make sure everything is assigned thru in/out set up. Could also try running an optical cable from the blu ray player just for music and see if that helps. It is strange that you have no control over any features thru hdmi.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You noted that you have control over the tone controls and other features when using the USB stick...have you made sure all of those features are set to the default "flat" setting? This would include any "night" modes, other dynamics controls, perhaps a "HT-EQ", or anything like that. Having these on will make the music sound noticeably different. Perhaps the "night mode" is on with the HDMI selected, reducing the dynamic range, but it is not selectable with the USB input, so you have full dynamics there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/18135302

Its "Bass" not "Base".

Thanks for your awe-inspiring insight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what the "night mode" is.... Been through the manual a few times now. A friend brought a spare hdd over yesterday (formatted in Fat32) with abt 300gb of music on it and the receiver did abt 5 minutes of "reading" and then - worked perfectly. Sound was excellent - for me. (new Paradigm - Monitor 7's, CC190, DSP3100 and Adp's)

I guess the answer for me is to merely reformat my hdd to Fat32 and when I want to be fussy abt the sound, unplug the usb cable from the wdtv (hdmi connection) and plug in to the Ipod/usb on the front of the unit. A little awkward, but clearly worth it the difference in sound.

Thanks for the help anyway guys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.