AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Bryston SP1.7 or a used SP1. The price of a used SP1 is very attractive. Plus, I'm not big on all the different surround modes and I will only have 5 speakers for the foreseeable future so 7.1 is pretty useless. Is there any reason why I should consider the SP1.7 over the SP1? One spec I'm concerned about is the ability of the SP1.7 to do 24bit/96Khz D to A conversion whereas the SP1 does 24bit/48Khz. I do not listen to DVD music. I do not own any SACDs. Should I care about that specification? Honestly, I don't even know the difference between 24 this or 192 that. How does that specification directly affect sound quality.. which is all I really care about.

Thanks!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Here's an interesting thing I copied from the Bryston web site just now:

"We’ve designed the SP 1.7 with a plug-in ROM chip; this allows for convenient upgrades so future software changes are quick and easy to implement. On the hardware side, our pin-to-pin compatible digital board topology facilitates upgrades to future formats or digital processing technologies. The SP 1.7’s existing DAC chips can run at sample rates up to 192kHz facilitating upgrades to accommodate future formats. It is worth noting that many manufacturers promise that their units will be upgradable for future technology. Bryston actually does it (and is doing so today, at moderate cost, for the SP 1.7’s predecessor)."

One of these days, I want a SP1 or SP1.7, BAD...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
differences between the SP1 and the SP1.7

- 5 channel analog bypass to connect a multichannel SACD or DVD-A/V player

- The digital input locks onto 24bit/96Khz stereo signals. This can come from a computer or any player that outputs at this rate. (DADs or DVD-A)

- Newer DACs

CS43122: DNR 122db THD+N -102db vs.

CS4396: DNR 120db THD+N -100db

- Lower noise floor for the digital section -105db vs. -100db signal to noise ratio

I found the SP1.7 to be a real improvement when used in DAC mode. There is no difference when used in 2 channel bypass.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The following page describes what was added to the SP-1 for the SP1.7 upgrade. Also mentioned is the cost for the SP1.7 and the upgrade cost for the SP-1 to the SP1.7.

http://www.bryston.ca/sp17memo.html

The only other benefit I can see for a 5.1 setup other than what Thomas has already mentioned is Dolby Pro Logic II (DPL II), which is configured for 5.1 setups with most processors. The remaining upgrades benefits those with 6.1/7.1 setups.

Michael

·
Registered
733 Posts
FYTON2V, what prices have you seen on used SP1s?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems to hover around 2K. That plus the a $1000 upgrade plus another $200 for the new 1.7 remote pretty much puts you in the ball park for a barely used 1.7. It's pretty much a wash and it only makes sense for me to get an SP1 if I don't intend to upgrade for a long time.

A post above said that the 1.7 is easier to upgrade. I wonder if that means that it will also be cheaper to upgrade in the future?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
As one who owns a SP-1 I can add that DPLII is not missed much because the Brysotn version of DPL is so outstanding it sounds a lot like DPLII, at least in the front. The biggest difference is of course in the rears where you just get a dual mono channel of limited range. But for the vast majority of analog sound sources you don't get much effects in the rear anyway, so no great loss IMO. If you are not into DVD-A or SACD the SP-1 makes great sense, and of course can always be upgraded.

BTW, I have now moved to a Lexicon MC-8 and the Bryston is for sale. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Dsmith

·
Registered
733 Posts
"A post above said that the 1.7 is easier to upgrade."

Where did you see that?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was your's. Where you quoted bryston about the "plug-in ROM chip" making future upgrades easy.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used SP 1 for any more than 1600. You can buy a NEW SP 1.7 for 2900 and it costs 1200 to upgrade the SP 1 to SP 1.7 status...

·
Registered
733 Posts
:confused: Man, do I feel stupid! I read everybodys post besides my own trying to find that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.