Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I'm about to take the plunge on a 50" panasonic plasma and I had already decided on the TH-50XVS30. A friend of mine has this TV and it looks great. Well, I went to the store and the salesman directed me to the panasonic TH-50PX500U, saying it's the newer version of the same TV and that the XVS30's were on their way out. I took a look at the prices of each and started the head scratching--the "new model" (50PX500U) was selling for a decent amount less than the one that was being replaced.

I went home and looked at the panasonic site, and even there, the the XVS30 is listing for like $8K and the PX500U for $5,500. Now, I know that the prices for these TVs keep dropping but does it make sense that the older models that they're trying to move out would be MORE than the brand spanking new ones?? Am I somehow dropping a level of quality by buying this newer one?

Lo and behold, I went to the specs of each and indeed the cheaper PX500U is slightly more advanced (8th generation plasma vs. 7th, 8.58 billion colors vs. 3.62 billion, etc.)

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Should I go with the newer, cheaper, PX500U? Is it really the newest (and better) model?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Steve

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect0
Hello,

So I'm about to take the plunge on a 50" panasonic plasma and I had already decided on the TH-50XVS30. A friend of mine has this TV and it looks great. Well, I went to the store and the salesman directed me to the panasonic TH-50PX500U, saying it's the newer version of the same TV and that the XVS30's were on their way out. I took a look at the prices of each and started the head scratching--the "new model" (50PX500U) was selling for a decent amount less than the one that was being replaced.

I went home and looked at the panasonic site, and even there, the the XVS30 is listing for like $8K and the PX500U for $5,500. Now, I know that the prices for these TVs keep dropping but does it make sense that the older models that they're trying to move out would be MORE than the brand spanking new ones?? Am I somehow dropping a level of quality by buying this newer one?

Lo and behold, I went to the specs of each and indeed the cheaper PX500U is slightly more advanced (8th generation plasma vs. 7th, 8.58 billion colors vs. 3.62 billion, etc.)

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Should I go with the newer, cheaper, PX500U? Is it really the newest (and better) model?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Steve
Your salesman say's the xvs30 is on its way out? What store are you talking about? I know nationwide from the dealer locator, say's there's only about 40 stores selling it. Like to know where he got the information. Does he mean a newer version is coming or discontinued model?

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

The PX500U is not a replacement for XVS30, it's a different series with different features and design. Even though it's got the older gen glass, it's a "higher-end" series than the PX500U. The new 8th gen glass is reported to look better than the 7th gen glass.

The bottom line is does the XVS30 have any particular features or anything else about it that would be worth you paying a few grand more and giving up some picture quality for (if PX500U's 8th gen PQ is indeed better)? I didn't even really need the extra stuff on the PX500U over the PX50U so for me it was an easy descision. I came to the same conclusion about the Pioneers - the extra features and supposedly better colors wasn't worth the extra grand or so.

The PX50U and PX500U are just good bargains for the money if the primary consideration is picture quality over feature set (as it should be). My PX50 Panny is probably not quite as good as a Pioneer but for the money it's plenty good enough :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a salesman at Ken Cranes in Los Angeles. I mean I understand why, as he was pushing me towards the PX500, but he did in fact say that the XVS30 was "on its way out." Didn't say if it was going to be replaced with a newer version of the same level.

Thanks for the feedback. I still just think it's odd that the cheaper product is actually higher quality (in terms of the picture--what else do you really buy a tv for?) than the higher end unit. I guess you don't get as many inputs out of the box, but can't you just put more in the slots behind the tv?

oh, the other thing I was curious about--since this tv doesn't use a media reciever--how does one hang it on the wall when you never know when you're going to add another input device? ie, when you hang a plasma, all the wires are put beind the wall when it's installed the first time. with the media box, all the inputs are in your cabinet so you can switch things in and out as you like. maybe I'm just missing something?

anyway, thanks again for the response!

-Steve

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
Quote:
It was a salesman at Ken Cranes in Los Angeles. I mean I understand why, as he was pushing me towards the PX500, but he did in fact say that the XVS30 was "on its way out." Didn't say if it was going to be replaced with a newer version of the same level.
The XVS30 could very well be on it's way out, afterall it is last year's model and i haven't seen any indication of an Onyx replacement. It has the older glass, is only available at a limited number of stores, and is priced too high compared to the Pioneers and higher-end Hitachis etc that have more features for a lower price. It's a beautiful piece, but it's kinda outdated and it's lofty price reflects margins that are a year old. The newer models from all manufacturers (not just Panasonic) are priced lower than last years similar models so the stores are stuck with these old high-priced units. This is typical when new models come out, prices are lower every year. FWIW Ken Crane's Outlet store in on 147th street in Hawthorne had two 42" Onyx plasmas on "Close-Out" for a low price a few days ago when i was in there finishing up some old business. I think the Onyx series is going the way of the Dodo Bird.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I still just think it's odd that the cheaper product is actually higher quality (in terms of the picture--what else do you really buy a tv for?) than the higher end unit. I guess you don't get as many inputs out of the box, but can't you just put more in the slots behind the tv?

Quote:
oh, the other thing I was curious about--since this tv (PX500U) doesn't use a media reciever--how does one hang it on the wall when you never know when you're going to add another input device? ie, when you hang a plasma, all the wires are put beind the wall when it's installed the first time. with the media box, all the inputs are in your cabinet so you can switch things in and out as you like. maybe I'm just missing something?
The wall mounts typically allow you to tilt the plasma out just enough to get at the connections on the backside so it's usually not a big deal. Lots of people however choose to go ahead and connect cables to all the unused outputs and thread them through the conduit then just leave them hanging for future use. That way if they later add a component to that unused input the cable is already in place.

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
Quote:
The XVS30 could very well be on it's way out, afterall it is last year's model and i haven't seen any indication of an Onyx replacement. It has the older glass, is only available at a limited number of stores, and is priced too high compared to the Pioneers and higher-end Hitachis etc that have more features for a lower price. It's a beautiful piece, but it's kinda outdated and it's lofty price reflects margins that are a year old. The newer models from all manufacturers (not just Panasonic) are priced lower than last years similar models so the stores are stuck with these old high-priced units and a very limited market. I think the Onyx series is going the way of the Dodo Bird.

Quote:
This is typical when new models come out, prices are lower every year. FWIW Ken Crane's Clearance/Outlet store on 147th street in Hawthorne had two 42" Onyx plasmas on "Close-Out" for a low price a few days ago when i was in there finishing up some old business.

The Onyx TV only has connections for it's proprietary media box cable. All your devices will have to connect to the media box only. It appears to have the same amount of inputs as the PX500U, but it has two RF inputs and appears to have separate OTA and Cable tuners so you can set it up to tune both types of signal. On the PX500, the tuner is "shared" so you have to choose one or the other as it cannot tune both.

Quote:
oh, the other thing I was curious about--since this tv (PX500U) doesn't use a media reciever--how does one hang it on the wall when you never know when you're going to add another input device? ie, when you hang a plasma, all the wires are put beind the wall when it's installed the first time. with the media box, all the inputs are in your cabinet so you can switch things in and out as you like. maybe I'm just missing something?
The wall mounts typically allow you to tilt the plasma out just enough to get at the connections on the backside so it's usually not a big deal. Lots of people however choose to go ahead and connect cables to all the unused outputs and thread them through the conduit then just leave them hanging for future use. That way if they later add a component to that unused input the cable is already in place.

A media box can be a hindrance in some wall mount installations as you're limited by the length of it's proprietary cable. Longer cables are often available but the're really expensive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd be curious to learn what the general consensus is re: picture quality between the 50/500U and the older Onyx series.

The specs are better on the newer 8th gen units, but does that translate to a better picture? Probably not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks Randy--that information is really helpful. I guess it's pretty obvious now that I think about it that you'd basically just connect wires to each input when you install and then never have to worry about how best to switch components in and out...

as for the difference in picture quality between the 7th gen onyx and 8th gen 50/500U, I'm not sure what it is/will be. The one aspect that does seem salient is that the 50/500U will display 720p standard and the Onyx displays it via PC only. Also there is a big difference in terms of the displayable colors, but who knows if that's really visible...

I'm now leaning towards the 500U.

-Steve

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Also there is a big difference in terms of the displayable colors, but who knows if that's really visible...

Steve

And once again... :D

The "7UY" , Onyx and "50/500" Models have the same displayable colors:

Full time 3.62 billion (Maximum 8.52 billion in low brightness area). :)

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
So I guess from these posts that the 500 is superior to the Onyx. From some prices I've seen on ebay you could have bought two 500U plasmas for what people paid for the inferior Onyx. I called the Tweeters today and was told when they go on closeout that Panasonic has told them they have been discontinued. Well a dealer friend of mine told me that manufacters bread and butter are the cheaper models not the high end. Do you folks believe that it costs more to build a Onyx than a 500U? Look at them I think the 500 looks cheap compared to the Onyx. In my humble opinion. Now preformance wise, I'll save for another time. And again these are all humble opinions.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Oh. ok.

Is the 720p display difference (ie, only via PC on the onyx) relevant then?

-Steve

It'll be an issue when using some upconverting DVD Players set to 720p. The Onyx Models won't accept 720p signals at all in the Component/HDMI inputs. For STB/HD Receivers you can simply set them to output 1080i.

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You might want to hold on to your wallet until September, the Panasonic TH-50XVS50 will be out around the third week of September, there are a couple of B&M's taking pre-orders on the east coast already.

It will be based on the 8G panel and should prove to be better in every way then the current consumer and commercial displays. Or you can wait for the 6G Pioneers in October... Even better!

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you're kidding, really?? so the 8th gen onyx IS coming out...and at the end of sept? that's not too far away...though I'm sure my wallet would prefer I went with the 500. I know it's not supposed to be this confusing--there's high end and there's mid range--but it's just a pain because the performance between the two classes seems to be almost identical. can it simply be the style that costs so much more dough? my american consumer mentality won't let me accept it! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.