AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would think that a display is a display as far as the meter and software is concerned, but that obviously is not the case at all. Can someone explain what is happening under the covers of the software that necessitates it to have special settings for different display types? I.E. why does Calman or Chromapure need to be set on "plasma" or "front projector DILA" in order to give correct readings?

Just curious....

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
So light is a spectrum, we see light from 380nm to nearly 700nm. In order to convert the intensity of light at the various wavelengths in to XYZ data we use something called a color matching function. The most common one in use is the CIE 1931 2-degree function

So a tri-stim based device has a sensor with a filter that is trying to cover one of the curves of the color matching function, but since they aren't perfect the filter will either let extra light through or block light that shouldn't get to the sensor.

So if a spectrum has alot of light where a filter leaks extra light we need to correct a specific channel for that amount of light. We look at the cross talk between the sensors and come up with a compensation matrix that basically tells the software how much information the sensors are missing due to their inaccurate filter set.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does that mean if you have a true spectroradiometer (as opposed to a tri-stim) that there is no need to ensure the display type is correct, or is that setting still used in some way?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrstalLens /forum/post/20845239

Does that mean if you have a true spectroradiometer (as opposed to a tri-stim) that there is no need to ensure the display type is correct, or is that setting still used in some way?

Only if it's for a mode like ambient where you attach a head to the spectro, otherwise they are all exactly the same for spectros.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 /forum/post/20863657

So since my Colormunki is a spectro does that mean its irrelevant?

Yes, spectros are much more versatile. Depending on the resolution, they still can be sensitive to a spikey display (i1Pro and the colormunki), but for 99% of the displays out there, they are extremely accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.