AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Denon 1920 DVD player... I dont think its even an HD-DVD player.... but IIRC, even regular DVD players will play HD-DVDs, but you just wont get the HD resolution... right?

What is "Blue Ray"?

Do I now need a "Blue Ray Player" too?

Will Blue Ray, play DVD's?

M.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Say Mark:

HD-DVD and Blu-ray are two high-capacity discs for delivering true HD resolution which are on the near-horizon. A DVD player won't play either.

There aren't players for HD-DVD or Blu-ray yet. There are huge discussions about these, run searches here or on google. The big issue is copy protection right now.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Also, run a search in the HDTV recorders and players forum....that's where most of the discussion is the hd resolution players (and where the mods want those topics).

Ron

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was a circuit city in Flint Michigan on vacation last week... my dad bought a new Samsung DVD player that claims to be HD-DVD"... it was only $134 bucks????

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Well it's not. It's probably just a DVD player that has on-board upconversion, meaning that it upconverts DVD's 480 standard resolution to a higher HD resolution. This is great, but it's not the same as an HD source. HD-DVD players are not yet available and I predict they will start out around the thousand dollar mark, certainly not 100 bucks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Samsung uses the HD in the model number for obviously misleading reasons.
htpcfan's right - Samsung is clearly trying to dupe the buying public with stuff like that. :mad: Either that or they really do believe their players are HD. :p

When Samsung releases their first true HD player, I suppose the P/N will start with RHD, for Really High Definition, or RTHD (Really Truly High Definition). :rolleyes:

There are no HD-DVD players today. There are no HD-DVD's to play on them, either. Enjoy regular DVD until they arrive. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.