AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main pc crashed today; i dowloaded a disk defrag utility (Disk Defragmenter Lite 1.1), installed it, ran it then the PC rebooted (as it should)then the defrag utility started, a small window in the backround also poped up saying "updating system settings" in Win 98 as what usually happens after a software update and while defraging the PC locked up. I restarted the pc but once Windows loads up the desktop with all the icons that's as far as it goes. I get a pop up with an error saying could not load shell32.dll, out of memory. I'm at work and i have little clue on how to fix it. My main PC only has 64mg of ram but i should have no such problems....Any suggestions would be helpful. I have never had anything like this happen to me before, once i get the memory error, my pc locks up completely and have to hard reset only to have the same thing happen over and over again. How do i resolve this (step by step)?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks,

did that already, this was the first thing i did but for some reason seems something is tying up all my memory. This programs really screwed things up....any help would still be appreciated.

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi

if you uninstall that program.and you still have problem , its more likely that you gonna have to install window 98 again. you could do it over the the old one.

OR you could do a clean install.

if you have files that important to you. and you can not recover .from c:\\

you have now.

i would get an old or new hard disk based on size of files you want to save.

then hook it up. remove your old drive just in case you format it by mistake . install win 98 on new drive. then put back your old drive as salve. copy all file you want to save. to new drive.

format the old drive, then put back all your saved file from new one to the old one,

this way you will have a new fresh drive . and other one for all your saved files. you can keep it in machine for future file saving. that will be a good way to keep important file saved away from C:\\

·
Registered
529 Posts
Did you check to see if anything was done to the system settings? Like turning off/shrinking virtual memory (pagefile), locking IO buffer space, nucleus? Is it still loading (startup files) some part of that defragmenter and using all your memory?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.