AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am clueless. I am much better with clothing, but when it comes to picking colors for a room, I am clueless. When I have a limited selection of GOM colors to choose from, it gets even harder for me. So, if I can get some advice from people who like to pick colors (or who know how they are supposed to go together), I would appreciate it.

Ok, here are the fix elements of my HT room.

1. Carpet: The carpet is a Berber style carpet call Kennesaw Snowfall. It is basically cream colored with gray/steel blue/black/brown flecks in it.

2. Couch: For seating, I will have a two love seat sectional. I really like it because it has a slight curve. However, the color is TAN leather. I wish it was gray or some other color, but it is tan.

3. Furniture: I won't have a stage, but the screen wall will be a wall unit that houses a 64" RPTV. The screen will drop in front of this unit. The color of the unit is a golden pine.

Colors to choose:

1. Lower GOM: I want to go with two layers of GOM. I guess a lighter one on the bottom.

2. Upper GOM color: Darker than the top one.

3. Soffits: I am going to paint the soffits a ligher color than the ceiling.

4. Ceiling: I want a dark ceiling. Perhaps not black, but maybe black, or dark blue or even burgundy (if that color scheme makes sense).

I have the GOM color sample booklet sitting on top of a piece of the carpet, along with a swatch of the leather and a pine board that is stained the color of the furniture and I am clueless. There are not too many earth tones in the GOM that look nice. I would feel bad, except my wife is struggling with this as well.

As a general question, is it better to coordinate your wall colors with the carpet (which is generally neutral) or you furniture. Something in the blue family would go great with the carpet, but I am not sure how a tan leather couch would look. I am pretty sure the golden pine furniture would be ok.

So, if anyone has a tan leather couch and is using GOM, what color(s) did you use?

Regards,

- Hal

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hal,

One can dispute taste better than anything else and still some people have better taste than others. I have learned that lesson very well when I received my education as a fashion designer. Now I am art historian (fashion design was to brainless) but the taste is still there.

I've also decorated more than one apartment, so let's see.

If I understand you correctly you want to use three colors on the wall alone and another for the ceiling and for the carpet. I'd be careful that the room doesn't look like a cream colored disneyland.

Brown which is tan, in my experience goes well with any shade of blue until the blue gets to purple and even than some combinations can look good. So I think a blue theme might be nice and as you suppose will give a good contrast with the carpet and the furniture. It would be nice to find a similar blue than the one of the speckles in the carpet or slightly darker.

Your initial idea of prolonging the carpet color into the wall is not bad but especially if you stay in the cream color scheme might seem dull. Plus you'd have the lightest color on the bottom and get two darker colors on top of that. Trust me, it's probably not very good. The darker color goes to the bottom in 97% of all cases. True for clothing, too. There is a saying that the elegant man will wear colors that get lighter from bottom to top. So no dark blue shirt over light brown khakis unless yo want to look like military. Only exception are very clear colored or white linen pants for the summer but we talk about HTs, right?

Now if you go to use the lighter color on top it will look good but won't take away much stray light. Try a single wall color and offset with a different ceiling color. By the way, contrary to one's expectations a small room looks more spacious in darker colors than in white or cream. Any interior designer can tell you that.

In general I would go for no more than four main colors in a room. Three are even better. I don't know if this is available in GoM but I'd try a warm grey for the wall. Maybe you can even get something close to the famous Kodak 18 % grey (do a search on this forum and you'll find info or just check the color chart in a pro photo shop). For the ceiling I have recently discovered the Disney (here we go disneyland) Behr color called Cinema Star. It is very dark seems brown black in artificial light, totally black with lights off and blue/black in daylight. So here you have all the colors in your carpet and still have a good contrast with the carpet and the furniture as well as good light absorption and a living room friendly color scheme. The ceiling will seem higher in a dark color as long as the walls are lighter. If you wanted to you could introduce a little steel blue as an accent color on the soffits or draperies or sofa cushions to lighten things up a little bit.

If anything is to be decided let your wife do it especially if you had to fight to get a dedicated room or if this is not a dedicated room, this way she gets involved, too.

Just suggestions don't want to prescribe anything.

Let us know how it goes, okay?

Best,

Till

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Till

I really appreciate the message. You definitely gave me some food for thought and it helped me make my final decision. I have decided to go with 1 color GOM on the walls. In order to make the room go with the rest of the house, we decided to go with a green theme. When we hold up the swatches, it all seems to work together.

My HT is not a closed off room, so it is already full of compromises. The back of the room is basically open to the rest of the basement. Here is a pic:
http://kimhearst.home.comcast.net/HTRoomOnly.jpg

So, the carpet is a continuation of what is in the rest of the basement. I will use Leaf 755 colored GOM in the FR701 line. The soffit will be painted a light cream colored green called Abingdon Putty in the Benjamin Moore line. The ceiling will be a green called Hancock Gray. These colors are basically the lightest and darkest colors on the swatch.

I hope it all works out. We have similar colors in the family room and it seems to work. It may look a little military though. Perhaps I should go with a camouflage theme? ;) Just kidding.

Thanks Again,

- Hal

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hal,

it seems you are much less computer challenged than color challenged, green theme is nice by the way, very agreable to the eye. Glad I could help a little.

Now, how did you do this fabulous drawing? My room will have exactly the same dimensions and be outfitted similarly. Which program did you use and does it take a computer wiz to manipulate it?

Have you tried out this sub position. Depending on where you crossover and how loud your sub is set you might still be very able to detect that the bass is coming from right next to you. In my installation now my sub is sitting slightly behind my left main and is xoed at 50Hz and not too loud but I am still sometimes unsatisfied for the localization. In my coming installation I'll try to put it somewhere between the front mains. Will also save me cable money. Just wondering what your experience with this is.

Thanks,

Till

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Till,

The program I used to make the drawing is Microsoft Visio. It is fairly easy to use however I am sure there are probably easier ones out there. I got it from work as the software is usually for making flow charts and diagrams, but it can do room layouts. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless someone already has it.

The sub location is not permanent. In fact, on the diagram, I just put it there for the heck of it. I have a few cables run to rear positions and will try a few locations. I may even get a second sub, and play around with a dual setup.

Regards,

Hal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.