AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my problem I have a old sony40 inch XBR (Sony KV40XBR800)CRT. But yet my mother in law claims her 2003-4 50inch Rear Projection DLP Samsung HLM507W is better than my crt. Which in my opinion is pure rubbish. Because first My crt has deeper blacks, doesn't fade out from side to side(when watching her RPTV the image can, and does washout). Also on some programs if you look at the right or the left of the screen, you can visually see the source stretch when the camera pans a scene. So anyone have some food for thought. Ofcourse she has my tv in sheer size, and that hers weights less, also i believe her unit would fetch lower money on ebay as well, but thats it unless someone else can find somthing else?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Sony 36xbr800, and would put it up against just about any hd plasma or flat panel. Most won't do 1080i. Your crt is still the best picture in my opinion. I Have seen a pioneer 1080i elite plasma that would compare--- for a hefty price. Dlp is nice, but no comparison to a 1080i crt.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's a matter of opinion. What do you think looks better? I know some people are much more concerned about the design of their TV than they are the picture. Obviously those types aren't going to pick a CRT. Eventually this debate will be a thing of the past because flat-panels will catch up to the contrast levels and response times of CRTs and then there will be no reason to own a CRT anymore. But for now I'm sticking to my CRT until these improvements are made. As for right now the one advantage the other technologies has over CRT is resolution, but CRT does everything else better.

·
Registered
698 Posts
if you pick a tv on the design not the picture you shouldn't be aloud to watch tv and should get a swift punch in the throat

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 2 tv's in question are a Sony XBR 40inch tube TV circa 2003 versus Samsung 50inch DLP Circa 2003 maybe 2004. A dlp shifts, crt doesn't,CRT has black, dlp has dark grey. Where looking for a winner based on PICTURE. The sammy is not a LCD or a plasma. That being said I would believe that the better unit would be very obvious to poeple of AVS.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well, the main reason I said there are people out there who seem to only care about the design of the TV rather the picture is because of a friend of mine. He's got a 32" LCD that he payed $1,400 for. He doesn't subscribe to HD service and he watches everything stretched. He has Dish Network and I've told him a thousand times that it would cost him only a little more per month to have their HD service but he just doesn't care, he doesn't want to pay the extra amount. Then I'm always asking him how in the hell he can tolerate that stretched crap and he says he likes the entire screen to be used. I tell him about the zoom picture but he won't use it. In fact, he doesn't even seem to understand what stretched means no matter how many times I tell him. I was at his place on New Year's Eve and when the ball dropped he said something like, "What the hell, it's suppose to be ball, not an egg." He was bitching at the guys dropping the thing like he was totally oblivious to the fact of why it looked like that...despite my having explained it to him a thousand times. I've asked him why he even bothered buying a HDTV if he's never going to get HD service and he said he wanted the TV so he could hang it on his wall, lol. That truly does seem to be his only concern. He's willing to have a stretched picture with SD that looks like hell because it is being displayed on a HD LCD just so he can have a TV on his wall. He's never been all that bright.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I actually have a question on this topic. Can you hook up a computer to a CRT TV like the Sony XBR970? One nice thing about the LCD I have is I'm able to d/l 720p material on my computer and watch it on the tv. Haven't tried 1080i material yet as I'm afraid my computer won't be able to handle it!

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU /forum/post/0

I actually have a question on this topic. Can you hook up a computer to a CRT TV like the Sony XBR970? One nice thing about the LCD I have is I'm able to d/l 720p material on my computer and watch it on the tv. Haven't tried 1080i material yet as I'm afraid my computer won't be able to handle it!

the movie trailer 300 in 1080p is awesome on the TV.

Im getting an hdmi cable hopefully today and would like to know if the quality with hdmi will be better than component and would that also be the same if it was dvi to hdmi from pc to hdtv? Cause on component is pretty good but some things are a bit blurry on the screen and 1920x1080i res doesnt work via component as it gets a huge overscan issue but from what i read that using dvi to hdmi will produce better results with less overscan issues. Is this true? I was hoping to get a chance to play games, watch movies and see the desktop in 1920x1080i and as sharp as can be or at least less blury.

Oh and I am using the LG 30fs4d HDTV

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrulez /forum/post/0

the movie trailer 300 in 1080p is awesome on the TV.

Im getting an hdmi cable hopefully today and would like to know if the quality with hdmi will be better than component and would that also be the same if it was dvi to hdmi from pc to hdtv? Cause on component is pretty good but some things are a bit blurry on the screen and 1920x1080i res doesnt work via component as it gets a huge overscan issue but from what i read that using dvi to hdmi will produce better results with less overscan issues. Is this true? I was hoping to get a chance to play games, watch movies and see the desktop in 1920x1080i and as sharp as can be or at least less blury.

Oh and I am using the LG 30fs4d HDTV

I've tried component, HDMI to HDMI and DVI to HDMI. IMHO, the component cables always delivered the best picture quality. I've read opinions here and there as to why so many come to this same conclusion, but all I know is it looks better. CRT sets are analog in nature, as are component interfaces, and maybe that's why they can tend to give better picture quality - because there's less A/D and D/A going on.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I much prefer HDMI over component for the cleaner colors, especially reds and skin tones.

Some people like the color-saturated look of component though, my girlfriend being one of them.

·
Registered
836 Posts
well there is. The colors are noticably cleaner thru HDMI. I don't know how else to explain it, but it seems less like the colors are on top of the image and more like they're integrated into the quality of the picture.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot /forum/post/0

well there is. The colors are noticably cleaner thru HDMI. I don't know how else to explain it, but it seems less like the colors are on top of the image and more like they're integrated into the quality of the picture.

I think it just comes down to personal preference. Hopefully we'll continue to get a choice instead of one standard format.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.