AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what screen size to order. I am stuck between 110" and 106". The floor to ceiling will be 7"4'. The width of the room is 12'6". The projector will be 17' away. I am planning two rows of seats. The second row will be on a riser. The riser will probably be 12 inches.

110" screen- 54" X 96" (60" X 102" with black frame)

106" screen- 52" X 92" (58" X 98" with black frame)

I will have a 25" subwoofer and also a center channel under the screen so that may limit how low the screen can go and how much room up top I have to mount it.

Thank you in advance. Slowly but surely my theater is coming together!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have the projector but it is not open yet. I just finished framing the room. I have not put the drywall up yet and I have not built the riser yet. I plan on starting the drywall this weekend and the riser next week.

How far should the screen be from the ceiling?
The real question is how high it should be from the floor as that will influence your riser height (or vise versa). It looks like you have a 3-5" range that you can mount it. You might want to check with the riser height calculator. If you are pretty firm on the 12" riser height, you might need to mount the screen higher. Or if you mount the screen based on recommended angles, you might need a taller riser.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
What aspect ratio are you planning...16:9, 2.39:1, 4:3?

It make a huge difference in how tall the screen will be, and thus how close to the ceiling the screen will need to be, as well as how high your riser should be.

If you are going 2.39:1, you have many options. I have a scope screen and my front row is 11' from a 130" wide (horizontal measure) screen. That's a 141.5" diagonal measure screen!

If you haven't considered a scope screen, you may wish to do so.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
sorry didnt read whole thread - for me its about distance to screen vs width and my personal preference is 1:1. So 110", you're basically 8' wide which means I would want to be 8' from it. This is not what most people on here would probably recommend but let me explain...

I like to have just enough of the screen covering my peripheral vision that gives you that really nice sense of immersion while watching. I believe this is referred to as FOV 50, which is technically closer than 1080p resolution allows for, meaning that you will see some "chunkiness" to the picture at times, particularly if the image has straight diagonal lines that are in high contrast. But with most movies, I think it's ideal.

Others may disagree but that's my personal preference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I measured the ceiling this morning- it is actually just over 82 inches which is less than 7 feet. I don't know where my contractor came up with 7'4". I ordered the 106" screen today (DaSnap from Da-lite so the frame is a little thinner). Thanks for everyone's help so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts