AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble finding a DVD player with both HDMI output and Optical sound. Either they have one or the other but never both. If you have a DVD player with both please list the make and model #. Or if anyone can list them I would appreciate it. I have looked at lots of stores and the only one I can find is made by Dynex. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Onkyo changers DV-CP706 and 704 have HDMI and optical out both active. I have a setup that needs that arrangement, and I've owned both players.

I imagine the rest of Onkyos players do as well, but I haven't personally verified it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffredo /forum/post/18130677

I know that the Toshiba XDE-600 and Yamaha DVD-S1800 both do.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/prod...p?model=xde600

The Oppo DV-981HD also does, but is out of production and harder (and more expensive) to find.

These are the three I own currently.

How does the pq between the three players you own rank on a scale from 1-10? My 1800 is on the way and curious how it stacks up aginst the other two.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrod2 /forum/post/18131523

Thanks. I have never even heard of Oppo. Must be quality stuff judging by the prices.

They're a small, boutique manufacturer that is well regarded all around. They stopped making DVD players to concentrate on their new Blu-Ray players (the Blu-Ray players play everything the DVD players played.) Their prices really aren't out of line when you consider they compete against the universal DVD players from Denon, Pioneer, etc.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu /forum/post/18131540

How does the pq between the three players you own rank on a scale from 1-10? My 1800 is on the way and curious how it stacks up aginst the other two.

With all enhancements options on my 37" LCD turned off (including sharpness and noise reduction) the Oppo and Yamaha are neck and neck. Some DVDs look better with the more film-like smoothness of the DV-981HD, while some look better with the greater sharpness of the Yamaha. Both have very natural color. I tend to watch a few more DVDs on the Yamaha, so I guess I enjoy it the most.

The Toshiba is in its box and if I could get anything for it I would sell it (but its so cheap I doubt it would be worth the hassle). Initially I liked it, but the more I watched it and compared it to the others I realized the IQ was a bit grainy and over-processed, regardless what I did. Some movies are really improved by the XDE settings (Sharp and Contrast are the two I used), but oftentimes it just brings out the flaws in a transfer rather than hiding them.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffredo /forum/post/18133732

With all enhancements options on my 37" LCD turned off (including sharpness and noise reduction) the Oppo and Yamaha are neck and neck. Some DVDs look better with the more film-like smoothness of the DV-981HD, while some look better with the greater sharpness of the Yamaha. Both have very natural color. I tend to watch a few more DVDs on the Yamaha, so I guess I enjoy it the most.

The Toshiba is in its box and if I could get anything for it I would sell it (but its so cheap I doubt it would be worth the hassle). Initially I liked it, but the more I watched it and compared it to the others I realized the IQ was a bit grainy and over-processed, regardless what I did. Some movies are really improved by the XDE settings (Sharp and Contrast are the two I used), but oftentimes it just brings out the flaws in a transfer rather than hiding them.

Thanks for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.