AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I am very new to all this and am trying relentlessly to find out as much as I can before making a projector purchase. It sounds like one a big consideration to a projector is the screen. Seems as though they are rather pricy. Thus, I was hoping to find out as much as I can about a DYI screen. Thus, I was hoping someone could point me in the direction to where I could read up on them....

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
mOOn-

Welcome to the forum!

Spend an hour or two in this forum and you'll get plenty of info about DIY screens. People do everything from painting a white will with a black border to simulate a screen, use drapery blackout fabric, etc. etc.

Just about any flat surface that has the right reflective capabilities can work. Depending on your projector you may want a white screen or a gray screen.

One of the screens that currently popular is a parkland plastics screen. There's lot's of thread here about that one.

So, spend some time reading, and you'll have all the info you'll need! :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
So far, I've spent about $400 (plus power tool cost:)), and I have a very decent screen. 16:9, 60x107, GatorFoam ($85) backing wrapped with HCCV material ($300 for material - I've heard you can get it for less), with bias lighting ($11 for 2 - 12' lengths of blue rope lighting from Target). Looks great. Still to go: another $50 piece of GatorFoam plus $? of velvet to go for masking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TWilly
So far, I've spent about $400 (plus power tool cost:)), and I have a very decent screen. 16:9, 60x107, GatorFoam ($85) backing wrapped with HCCV material ($300 for material - I've heard you can get it for less), with bias lighting ($11 for 2 - 12' lengths of blue rope lighting from Target). Looks great. Still to go: another $50 piece of GatorFoam plus $? of velvet to go for masking.
TWilly, I have no idea what any of that stuff is your talking about. Can you supply some pics to give me an idea? Thanks :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TWilly

How did you get a 60"X107" size screen when it comes in 4'X8' size sheets? You must have peiced it together, yes? If so, how did you conseal the seams?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Can anyone fill me in on Gatorfoam? I have a Parkland screen now but it has developed many wrinkles. I can't notice any issues with the pics, but it looks terrible without an image projected on it. I'd need a piece 9 by 5.

any help?

Bomber

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.