AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're purchasing a home that was prewired in 2006, but never had anything installed. There are speaker drops in all the ceilings, and two CAT5 connectors in all the rooms. It all goes to a closet off the living room.

I don't have much of a clue where to start as far as the necessary equipment to make it happen, though. Is there a guide for newbies out there somewhere? Trying to get a feel for price and so forth to get a sense of how far we can go with this.

·
Registered
971 Posts
2 Cat5 could get you Video and Control (for the TV) to each TV and audio would be delivered over the speakers.

Rather than try and figure out "what it costs" i would decide how much you want to spend and what you are looking for in terms of features. Then people can direct you towards a specific product that best matches your wish list.

List how many rooms you want music and how many rooms you want TV's in. What sources do you want? Cable? Blu-ray? iPod? AM/FM/XM/Internet radio? Do you want lighting HVAC and Security integration?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough ... thanks for the response.

Ideally, I'd like two HD TV sources, cable and satellite. We'd also like a Bluray DVD player. For music, an iPod or two will be fine.

We are planning a large LCD TV in the family room, a 42" plasma TV in the master bedroom and another LCD in an exercise room. We have an upstairs "game room" that I'd like to convert to a home theater, with a projector and a good speaker system. The family room will have a 5.1 system as well. I'd also like music speakers available in the master bedroom, exercise room, and two outdoor areas (upstairs balcony and pool deck).

What I'm not really understanding if all that can be contained in this one equipment closet and distributed elegantly through the house (obviously, there would need to be multiple cable and satellite boxes to make them available for different channel viewing, that much I do understand).

Lighting, pool equipment, HVAC would be great to have, but I'm not sure if that has all been included in the prewiring that was done. I know the CAT5 is everywhere, and there are speaker drops.

I've looked at some equipment, and seen multi zone amps and so forth, from Niles and other manufacturers. Have not delved much into video switching, though. This is a whole new world for us.

Any tips appreciated ... price is a little more hazy to me, I have no idea what's entailed with this gear. Maybe $15-20k including speakers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts