AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I look at speaker specs and quickly tell how efficient a speaker is compared to another one?

To make a long story short I just purchased a new receiver (Denon AVR-889) and even in my small living room I have to crank up the volume pretty loud to pump out the sound through my speakers. I currently have Def Tech BP6's for my fronts and a Def Tech procenter 1000 center speaker. I know there can be all kinds of reasons for the low volume (not enough wattage, Audyssey settings etc) however I've been reading about speaker efficiency and was wondering how I can tell if one speaker will be more efficient than another etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Look for the sensitivity rating. Sometimes they just give it as a single number. Yours are 91 db. That means that if you sit 1 meter away and pump 1 watt into the speaker you'll get about 91 dB. Sounds to me like you've managed to screw something up there.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Chu Gai offers a concise explanation. A speaker that's 91 dB sensitive (technically, the term is sensitivity; not efficiency) should play pretty loudly in most rooms. Make sure the speakers are in phase. (+ to + and - to -)

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I agree with "chu gai", something is wrong with your receiver setup. Try doing a "factory reset" on the menu and don't change anything from factory defaults and see if the speakers don't respond better to volume settings.

Make sure the speaker wire connections are all clean bright copper and no "stray strands" are loose touching another connector.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
BP6B :Specifications

Dimensions | Metric :7" W x 11" D x 35" H | 17.8 x 27.9 x 88.9 cm

Driver Complement :Two 1” pure aluminum dome tweeters; Two 5.25” high definition bass/midrange drivers

Frequency Response :25 Hz - 30 kHz

Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohm outputs
Sensitivity :91 dB

Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :20 - 175 watts

A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :Large; Full Bandwidth

Inputs :One set of five way binding posts

Accessories :Feet; Isolation Spikes

Weight | Metric :42 lbs | 19.1 kg

Available Finishes :piano-Gloss Black

Packaging :One to a carton

Warranty :5 Years

ProCenter 2000 :Specifications

Dimensions | Metric :17" W x 6-1/2" D x 6-1/2" H | 43.2 x 16.5 x 16.5 cm

Frequency Response :42 Hz – 30 kHz

Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; Two 5-1/4" BDSS upper bass/midrange drivers; Two 5-1/4" pressure coupled bass radiators

Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
Sensitivity :91 dB

Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 – 250 watts

A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :60 Hz

Inputs :One pair of 5 way binding posts

Available Finishes :Gloss Black only

Accessories :Leveler Foot; Two ¼ 20 insert cover plugs

Mounting Options :Vertically: On Shelf with included leveling foot; Equipped with two ¼ 20 sized threads to accommodate on wall mounting brackets (available separately)

Packaging :One to a carton

Weight | Metric :10 lbs | 4.5 kg

Warranty :5 Years

91db sensitivity is pretty good. It should not be too hard to drive those speakers. Average speaker sensitivity is probably 88-89. Klipsch speakers with the horn tweeters usually come in around 97db or higher.

Unfortunately with your Denon 889 you will not be able to add an external amplifier if you feel there is not enough power. It doesn't have pre-out connections to add an external amp.

I agree with the others that something is not set up correctly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16916045

Might be helpful to specify exactly what "pump up pretty loud" means. Where is the volume control actually set?

Did you run auto-setup? What were the results?

Thanks for all the responses so far. Two answer the above questions I replaced my old receiver (Pio Elite VSX-81TXH which had 10 extra watts). That receiver used to sound pretty loud when turned to between -30 to -25db (watching most tv sources) and -20 to -15db (watching a blu ray movie).

I did run Audyssey however I could only run it from the 1st (main listening) position after several attempts. I think this is due to a faulty microphone as I kept getting an error message- (cannot find speaker/microphone) when I tried to run it from both the main listening position and position 2 etc. My wife discovered a small "fray" in the microphone wire and we've ordered another microphone which is on the way. I was able to get a full cycle run through from the main position, which is what I have set up now. However I've also turned off Audyssey as well and the sound does not go up at all so I don't believe it is that.

Now for sound to reach a "decent" level (I know this is obviously subjective) the receiver needs to be turned up to around -14 to -6 db's for all sources. Can the extra 10 watts of my old receiver really be the answer?

When I ran Audyssey it did think that my right rear surround receiver was out of phase however I checked everything and it is not. In reading some Audyssey posts I discovered that this incorrect reading can be normal and to skip it and move on which I did.

Maybe I'm just overreacting and -5db is fine? But I have a very small room (only 9-13 feet from all speakers) so it seems like -5db should be pounding out the sound.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Figure out how to set your receiver to default conditions. Make sure Audyssey is not playing a part.

Double check the wires once again carefully following their path to make sure they're in phase.

After all that, are the speakers set to small or large?

Now, do you have a sub? If so is it powered with its own amp?

Can you perhaps post a picture which shows how everything is setup?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
The 10 watts is insignificant. The position of the volume control or gain structure on the new receiver might be different. Maybe full power on the old one was 1 o'clock, and on the new one it's 3 o'clock. It's like throttle position and response on a car. With two identical vehicles, one will feel faster if the throttle is wide open when depressed only 2/3, while the other one requires you flatten it to the floor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my new Audyssey mic today in the mail and just re-ran the auto-setup from 5 positions instead of the previous one. Audyssey set my front crossovers to 40hz and I reset them to 80hz which if I'm not mistaken should provide a bit of a power burst to my fronts since they won't have to work so hard now. I may have overlooked this the first time. To answer a previous post my speakers are all set to small and it was nice that Audyssey did this on its own. Pioneer's MCAAC always put my fronts to large and I would have to switch them back. I have a SupercubeI subwoofer that for the size of my room is plenty adequate in terms of power.

With multi eq on now it sounds much better so far listening to my squeezebox playing mostly FLAC files. It still thinks my right surround is out of phase so I'm going to check that one last time and see if it is indeed wired incorrectly.

Thanks so much for all your responses.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hmmm... Old receiver at -20 to -15db (watching a blu ray movie) and new receiver at - 5dB.

Perhaps the old receiver has 0 dB meaning maximum gain, and the receiver has 0 dB meaning Reference Level. We could be comparing apples and oranges here.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/16917350

Hmmm... Old receiver at -20 to -15db (watching a blu ray movie) and new receiver at - 5dB.

Perhaps the old receiver has 0 dB meaning maximum gain, and the receiver has 0 dB meaning Reference Level. We could be comparing apples and oranges here.

I know my Denon 2808 goes up to +16 I think though I have it set to only go to 0.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/16917728

Mine goes to 11.

yeah its 1 louder when you need that extra push over the edge.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Does it play loud enough for you? It doesn't really matter what the numbers are or how far you need to turn the knob -- as others have pointed out, those things can vary from one receiver to the next.

-Max

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/16917728

Mine goes to 11.
nice

btw thats a Spinal Tap reference, for those that dont know. althoguh i feel like i should be the one that doesnt know, not the one explaining

to the OP.....

im goign to +1 on doublechecking your settings. my front towers and 90db sensitivity, and my center is 91 it think. and even my "5X100W", which i know is anything but 100W can do any ok job. you will have to turn it up pretty loud when a surround setting is used though. as i stated before, sometimes the watts per channel rating can be just a tiny bit inflated...

have you tried listening to some music in 2ch stereo? does there seem to be the same lack of volume then? it could possibly be that the true all channels driven power isnt what yor old receiver was...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeronesia /forum/post/16917719

I know my Denon 2808 goes up to +16 I think though I have it set to only go to 0.

Yeah, a receiver with volume control set for full gain at 0 dB will still go to +10 dB or +15 dB to handle cases of inputs way below maximum. But surely you guys know what I mean, right? What if he calibrated 0 dB at Theater Reference level?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts