AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i am planning to get the logitech z906 Is this a good buy? or can i get a better system for the same price range
i plan to do gaming, watch tv and listen to music. Its a fairly small room but i need it to be loud and clear enough for 5 persons because i would have friends over most times.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
While you could most definitely surpass that system in sound, to do it at that price would mean buying used.

I think most of the answers you're going to get will go something like this: take that budget, and get better front speakers (the most important ones) and a receiver, and work on adding surrounds and later as you save up more. Doing it right the first time will avoid having to buy/sell multiple times until you're happy (which costs more).

I would work on left, right, receiver and sub. Add the rest later. That way, you aren't skimping on quality.

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Currently i am planning to get the logitech z906 Is this a good buy? or can i get a better system for the same price range
i plan to do gaming, watch tv and listen to music. Its a fairly small room but i need it to be loud and clear enough for 5 persons because i would have friends over most times.
Depending how "small" the room actually is, the z906 should be loud and clear enough to serve your purposes.

If you can get it for under USD ~250, I'd say that it is a good buy.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I say go for the Logitech Z906 unless you can up your budget.

Here's my story: In September 2013, I started with the Logitech Z623 2.1 in my basement. It sounded better than a stereo (500 watt) and a sound bar I had been using. The little speakers were amazing for $100ish and people would come over an watch movies or sports and compliment the speakers....but I wanted 5.1 and talked myself out of the Z906 due to Amazon's shipping policy (no returns on the speakers). I went with a Yamaha 5.1 AVR and Energy 5.1 classic speakers...fried the subwoofer trying to match the Z623. Repaired the sub and added a BIC F12 sub for 5.2. Still not as good as the Z623 so upgraded the Energy speakers, upgraded the replacement speakers, added two more subs, upgraded the AVR to 7.2....

So if I was doing it again, I would just catch the Z906s on sale and be done with it.

:mad:My 18 year old daughter asked this weekend if we could watch Big Hero Six and use the Z623s instead of the 7.3 .:(

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also was wondering between the z906 and a receiver + home theater. The Logitech is cheaper. I have about 6 friends who have it and it's great for gaming and 5.1 videos. Just make sure your TV has DTS passthrough if you will not be using a receiver as many TV's don't. I primarily use Roku for Netflix and .mkv streaming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts