AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this thread. Now here is what I am trying to accomplish and I would like to get your input as to what it would take to build this.


I want to build a small computer that can be attached directly to my router with a gigabit connector that will act as a transcoding server for a multi room household. The system needs to be able to transmit a 1080p and 720p single at the same time without buffering an stuttering.


I would like it to not need a monitor attached but something I can directly RDP into etc.. or remote admin from any pc desktop.


I have been looking for a one and done box like boxee, roku, etc but non of these do what I need. Playon Media while some dislike does everything I need.


I am going to use my PS3 to play Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Vuddu (tuesday) for 70% of the stuff I need. The other 30% will be files I have Movies I converted, etc. This is where the transcoding comes into play. With the newest Playon I was able to watch 1080p streaming mkv files on my home TV with no problem. However I do not want to use my main desktop PC as the storage/server since it's my primary gaming pc. (Id like to offtask that)


So can anyone recommend a cheaper system that will allow this to work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad
First off thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this thread. Now here is what I am trying to accomplish and I would like to get your input as to what it would take to build this.


I want to build a small computer that can be attached directly to my router with a gigabit connector that will act as a transcoding server for a multi room household. The system needs to be able to transmit a 1080p and 720p single at the same time without buffering an stuttering.


I would like it to not need a monitor attached but something I can directly RDP into etc.. or remote admin from any pc desktop.


I have been looking for a one and done box like boxee, roku, etc but non of these do what I need. Playon Media while some dislike does everything I need.


I am going to use my PS3 to play Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Vuddu (tuesday) for 70% of the stuff I need. The other 30% will be files I have Movies I converted, etc. This is where the transcoding comes into play. With the newest Playon I was able to watch 1080p streaming mkv files on my home TV with no problem. However I do not want to use my main desktop PC as the storage/server since it's my primary gaming pc. (Id like to offtask that)


So can anyone recommend a cheaper system that will allow this to work?
Windows Home Server will do everything you need and then some. I prefer HP's as they have the best tech support of all.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top