AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: It's working so I don't need any other tests. Thanks!

I'm trying to setup the sharing and I'm not having much success trying to use the two 5k machines in the house.

00004-54831-53461

I beleive I have the netgear router (mr314) configured correctly, but there isn't much I can really do with this router. Less than the linksys routers.

I've got the replay on static ip 192.168.0.202 and port is configured in the portforwarding and on the replay.

I just need one small clip. (I guess I'll need to figure out how to turn this off once a clip comes through.) I got playoff hockey I need to record tonight. =)

Thanks!

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing anyone have the formula to convert serial number to mac address? I've got a strange IP address in my DHCP table, I'm wondering if a box switched to DHCP.

· Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
One more thing anyone have the formula to convert serial number to mac address?
There's a free program (hex2.exe) here (the download link is toward the bottom of the page). Enter your ISN in the the Large Decimal field and then click Convert to Bytes. The MAC address will be listed in the Hexadecimal field.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this is the mac address that's in my DHCP table, curious if it's just hanging around before it expires. The static address I provided responds to pings, so I think I'm ok...

Lyndon, do you have any information on which routers work/don't work?

Thanks guys.

· Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Well, this is the mac address that's in my DHCP table, curious if it's just hanging around before it expires. The static address I provided responds to pings, so I think I'm ok...
There are a number of old 5xxx posts that say that if you leave your 5xxx on static ip in a system that has dhcp the 5xxx will on occassion request a DHCP IP and that can lead to problems. (Also, there are posts saying that the 5xxx in a non-dhcp environemetn will from time to time forget its settings and you have to 'refresh' it by going back to the IP setup page.)

For these reasons, some people (myself included) put their 5xxx units on dhcp and set the dhcp servers in our routers with very very long lease times (or, if our routers allow it, associate the replay's mac with a specific ip address that the dhcp server should always hand out) so that we know in advance which IP address to port forward to. At lest for me, this workaround has worked perfectly -- I never have the 5xxx forget my settings.

· Registered
915 Posts
Jeff, QA was able to successfully send you a show token. So, it sounds like your router is configured properly. You can try and receive the show.

No, I don't have a complete list of routers that allow local internet video sharing and ones that don't. QA has issues with the following ones:

Netgear RT311

Netgear RP114

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alan, I had read about the dropping of the static address only to pick up DHCP addresses. Seemed pretty pathetic to me, bad....

So, the way to go is acutally DHCP w/long lease time, what 3-5 days?

I thought my linksys allowed me to specify a IP for specific MAC, but the netgear dosen't seem so robust. (I haven't dug around that much with the netgear router)

------

I've done a test clip from a coworkers replay at work. Everything worked fine on the send to my box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.