AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HOPE this thread is in the right place...

A friend of mine just got a PS3, but does not have an HDTV...SD only...

he DOES have a computer monitor though, VGA input only, thats a couple of years old...it is NOT HDCP compliant...

does anyone know of a component to VGA cable/adapter or converter that will do the job?

would there also be the chance of it having a switch (like a KVM switch) to make it easier to go between inputs?

I HAVE tried to google my query, but i run into scalers, boxes, things of that nature, but I do not know if any of those apply to me, so I did not dig too hard yet...

aren't MOST monitors in the US 720p by default?

thanks in advance for any and all help...

Scott

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
He needs a HD Fury converter. But you have make sure first that his input can handle the 720p signal. You can do this by setting his graphics card to 1280x720 to see what the monitor makes of it.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
No, HDFury will be way overkill for him unless he needs 1080P for Bluray. I'm currently using a YUV -> VGA transcoder and I can get up to 1080P for games and 1080i for Bluray. I paid $50 for one. The picture quality is very good too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you clarify a bit more on the way you are doing it?

while researching it we are running into issues such as needing 'line drivers' due to length of cable, because my friend is also was/is wanting to use a kvm switch to avoid pulling connectors on/off, thereby weakening ports due to repeated stress...

he have looked at a couple of different ones, but still not sure what to get...all that needs to be done for the next year or so is to be able to play games, no blu-rays...he will be get a new monitor that is hdcp-compliant when he starts college...so just need a gaming monitor now...

we have looked at this: http://www.x2vga.com/

and this: http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_1080p_vga_box.htm

if there is something easier, please do tell...thanks for everyone's help so far as well...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one more thing...

could someone go to monoprice.com and show me if the said cable listed above, yuv to vga, is sold there, and possibly link me to it here?

i am getting ready to place an order there and can add it to it if they have it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the easiest way is to buy a PS3 adaptor witch will make the PS3 output Composite video, S-video or component video witch you can connected to your TV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course that's the easiest way...but who wants to play/watch a PS3 on a 20", 10-year old SDTV when they could watch it on a CRT monitor that is 720p and half as old, and has an amazingly better picture?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yeah, any of those two will suit your friend's need. They are all transcoders. For PS3, that'll be all he needs. If he wants to mix up PS2 as well, that's where things will get a bit complicated.

Chances are, that CRT monitor your friend will be using has 4:3 aspect ratio. When I use my transcoder on a 4:3 monitor, I can get up to 1080P no prob, the real problem is that left and right portion of the display gets cut off if the monitor doesn't explicitly support either 1280x720(720p) or 1980x1080(1080p). Xbox360 won't suffer from this problem apart from a few launch titles, but for PS3, he needs to be sure whether he likes stuff cut off or prefers no borders on his monitor. I'm just saying that just in case he prefers correct aspect ratio. My Dell monitor for example, doesn't support 720p at all. It supports 480p fine and also supports 1080p, but like I said, things do get a bit cut off. I use FW900 monitor and aforementioned problems all go away but introduces a new one. (screen flickering on extremely bright scenes..argg) Using HDFury will yield same result as well since the resolution won't get touched as well. If your friend will eventually suffer from this, something like HD Box Pro may be a better option for compatibilities sake..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend got a really good Acer 22" monitor on sale for less than $200 a few days ago...we figured that after spending like $80 to 125 on conversion pieces and cables to make a 5 year old monitor work, it would be better to just buy an HDCP compliant monitor that will last a couple of years and have good resale value because it is HDCP compliant...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts