AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does speaker cable can warm the sound, or the opposite, make it sound more detailed?.

Or, the only thing that speaker cable suppose to do, it to pass the signal without any coloring.

If speakers cable can warm sound, from which level of price it possible to find such kind of cable?

Thank You.

Jack.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
DANGER WILL ROBINSON....

tread carefully..... that kind of question can cause many problems.... almost like discussing religion or politics....

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
No, provided the cable is not designed to act as a filter (e.g., MIT cables)... something a equalizer is better equipped to do than a cable anyway. And, provided the cable is of sufficient gage to pass the signal without unreasonable insertion loss or frequency dependant attenuation.

Spend money on (1) Music collection (2) Room (3) Speakers (4) Source and preamp gear (5) Amplifiers (6) Pet Food (7) Beer. Then, if money is still abundant, upgrade your speaker cable. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I hate to throw this in....

I wanted to upgrade to nice speaker cables more for looks than for anything else as they were exposed across the floor to my mains. I also wanted a pair of pre-terminated cables for the same reason. I bought a set of Monster something or other at $75 a pair, plus extra for the screw on spades and bananas. Let me tell you, my wife imediately noticed a difference, and I was able to pick them out five times in a blind test. They made my speakers sound like crap. The highs were tinny and shrill. Needless to say, they went back the next day.

So from my experience, the best cable you can get is 14g, 4 connector in wall cable (not Monster, their inwall cables have cheap coating that splits if the cable is twisted....this could lead to a short) with two connectors twisted at each end so they are in parallel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, if I have a receiver that is toward to the bright area (Pioneer 47TX), and I'm considering ordering speakers that seem to be also toward to the bright area (Axiom), there are no way warming the sound by selecting any type of speakers cable?.

Jack

·
Registered
105 Posts
i bought some CL3 2-cond 12 guage monster cable for $1.40ft to power my surrounds. the stuff is easy to work with and doesn't look bad either. i have a HK 7200 which warms the sound just right.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
If you are worried about the Axioms being too bright, I would suggest listening to other speakers.

If the cables make any difference at all, it will not change the overall character of the speaker.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You could also try the noise killers made by AH!.

You can find them here. www.upscaleaudio.com

I've heard they work great at filtering out the "s" sound that can ring and sound irritating.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by messhen
So, if I have a receiver that is toward to the bright area (Pioneer 47TX), and I'm considering ordering speakers that seem to be also toward to the bright area (Axiom), there are no way warming the sound by selecting any type of speakers cable?.

Jack
Maybe I'm just being a little obtuse, but why don't you just turn the treble down?? Better still, introduce an EQ into the equation and really get control over the sound. It's probable that your room really reinforces highs and dampens lows (lot's of hard surfaces?). ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Addressing any room acoustics issues will make a much bigger bottomline difference with your system than speaker cables ever will. If your room has a lot of solid reflective surfaces, then it can make any speaker or component sound "bright" or "boomy" or "harsh" etc. Some quick fixes include rugs or tapestries on the wall, cushier furniture, bookcases along the side or back wall to diffuse the sound reflections, acoustic panels (can build yourself with ceiling tiles or fibreglas insulation panels), or the more expensive professionally installed systems. If your room has acoustic problems (and most rooms do), that is where you should start before you get into the potentially expensive world of exotic cabling.

I'm not one of these skeptics that will say that cables are cables, but I will say that differences that I've noted over the years for my money are subtle to the point of near irrelevance. Room treatments on the other hand make a clear cut difference that's both discernable and measurable.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 46minaudio
I agree with Bigus except beer should come before petfood..
lol, you're right of course. I have no idea what I was thinking! :D

messhen,

My first post was quite serious. Take a close look at that suggested order. First and foremost, your room will have a large effect on the final sound quality. Proper absorption, diffusion, and reflecting surfaces will greatly change the sound from dull to shrill, lifeless to frantic, and everywhere inbetween. A close second is speakers (at a certain relatively low price point, speakers will actually dominate over the room... once you reach a certain level I believe the room becomes dominant). If you think the Axioms are too bright for your tastes, and if your room is fairly well designed and executed, simply look to another speaker. Why save a few hundred dollars on a speaker if it costs you that much or more in room treatment, equalization, or, God forbid, expensive cables?

If you have a room you think is fairly optimized, and the speakers are really close to what you want (or, a value so great you couldn't pass them up), then look to the next item(s) in my list to fine tune the sound. That would be source and preamp, and there's room in that category to include active equalization. If the speakers are just a tad to bright, there's nothing wrong with a bit of high quality parametric equalization to tailor the sound to your particular tastes. You won't make Bose speakers sound like Wilson, but you can take very capable speakers that are tuned for a slight rise in the treble and smooth out the response (or, put in a slight dip like so many highly regarded speakers have if you prefer that sound). Not sure what the EQ capabilities of your receiver are, but if there isn't an EQ built in I think a pre-out/in loop is the only possibility (not sure if your receiver has that option either), unless you actually insert an EQ between source and receiver (not recommended, not the least of reasons being you can only treat one source).

And hey... while we're at it... why not feed your pet some beer? :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Messhen asks:

"Or, the only thing that speaker cable suppose to do, it to pass the signal without any coloring."

That's exactly what a cable is suppose to do. It should not be tone control.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
I will say that differences that I've noted over the years for my money are subtle to the point of near irrelevance. Room treatments on the other hand make a clear cut difference that's both discernable and measurable.
Well said.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisWiggles
If there is any reason to spend a thousand dollars or more on speaker cable it is this:

DUDE they look SOOO sweet!
If I want to buy something in the $1000 or more range that looks "SOOO sweet", I'd rather buy a painting, a sculpture, a piece of art glass, a persian rug, or even a piece of furniture.

Wires are best neither seen or heard.;)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 46minaudio
I agree with Bigus except beer should come before petfood..
I would guess you have a dog and not a cat.:)

[ Morris, the 9-Lives cat, and his like can be finicky.]

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I was being sarcastic..... :p

I definitely agree that many people spending big bucks on their systems REALLY need to spend some time and bucks on their room first, before tiny small changes due to speaker wire become even reasonably important.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.