AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Dali Zensor 3s with Marantz 1609. The sound is either too quiet or blaring throughout the entire room. It seems there's really no just right level of volume. The room they are in is really small, maybe 10' by 12'. Can the speakers be too big for the room?

I guess maybe I don't have the right amp for the speakers too. I don't know.

I kinda think oberon 1s would have fit the room better.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Those are medium sized bookshelf speakers, I think they are perfectly fine in a room that size. How are they positioned in there?

·
Premium Member
10,879 Posts
I have Dali Zensor 3s with Marantz 1609. The sound is either too quiet or blaring throughout the entire room. It seems there's really no just right level of volume. The room they are in is really small, maybe 10' by 12'. Can the speakers be too big for the room?
IMO it's more of a room and/or placement issue. While some speakers probably are too big for some rooms, those Dalis don't look like they should be too big for a 10' x 12' room. (FWIW: I have no issues with much larger Paradigm 5se MKII speakers in my 10' x 10' home office.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are medium sized bookshelf speakers, I think they are perfectly fine in a room that size. How are they positioned in there?
They are definitely not positioned good. In a closet. I didn't have another place to put them. But why would that make them either too loud or two soft. I thought I would lose distinction between left and right, and also richness in bass.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
They are definitely not positioned good. In a closet. I didn't have another place to put them. But why would that make them either too loud or two soft. I thought I would lose distinction between left and right, and also richness in bass.
If they are positioned poorly, then you are probably sitting off axis which means they won’t sound as good and may require more volume to get the sound quality you want. Same goes for bass performance. Good speakers positioned poorly will sound bad.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
In your case no but some larger/more expensive tower speakers are quite tall and in a small room would have the tweeter well above ear height when seated.

Some designers get around this by placing the tweeter lower with a midrange above it but considering that the midrange handles vocals, not sure that would work well in a smaller room either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they are positioned poorly, then you are probably sitting off axis which means they won’t sound as good and may require more volume to get the sound quality you want. Same goes for bass performance. Good speakers positioned poorly will sound bad.

okay, I guess it's all positioning. I just figured they are too big. In what case would smaller speakers like the Oberon 1's be for then? Is it just a cheaper option, or is there an actual specific use where they would be good? If the Zensor 3s are only mid size? Does that mean they are only good for small room? could they be good for a large living room / dining room combined area?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
okay, I guess it's all positioning. I just figured they are too big. In what case would smaller speakers like the Oberon 1's be for then? Is it just a cheaper option, or is there an actual specific use where they would be good? If the Zensor 3s are only mid size? Does that mean they are only good for small room? could they be good for a large living room / dining room combined area?
If you have space restrictions or perhaps are sitting very close, smaller speakers can have merit. The Zensor 3s can certainly work in a medium or large room, but you may not get adequate volume or low end output from them in a bigger space.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have space restrictions or perhaps are sitting very close, smaller speakers can have merit. The Zensor 3s can certainly work in a medium or large room, but you may not get adequate volume or low end output from them in a bigger space.
I have some R&D computer speakers, that have a tweeter in the front and woofer in the back. A lot of times they just sound better at lower volumes, since I don't like to blast the music, so I end using those a lot if I'm in the room on the PC. If I turn the PC volume up, I can still hear the music in another room. It's not nearly as immersive an experience as my Zensor 3s cranked up, but when you say adequate volumes what exactly do you mean? Like the whole room vibrating?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I have some R&D computer speakers, that have a tweeter in the front and woofer in the back. A lot of times they just sound better at lower volumes, since I don't like to blast the music, so I end using those a lot if I'm in the room on the PC. If I turn the PC volume up, I can still hear the music in another room. It's not nearly as immersive an experience as my Zensor 3s cranked up, but when you say adequate volumes what exactly do you mean? Like the whole room vibrating?
When you start to turn up the volume, you ask more of your receiver and speakers. A receiver that is driven too hard can cause clipping which will damage the speakers. A speaker that is driven too hard can cause distortion which will damage the speakers. Operating a speaker and amplifier within their means, at a volume that is satisfactory to you is what I would call adequate.

People have different listening preferences and loud for one person may be just right for another. Movie theater reference sound is 85dB with 20dB of headroom, so that can generally be a good benchmark for people.

Those speakers will have no trouble hitting reference sound in your room, but in a big room where you are farther away, they may struggle a bit. If you can place your Dalis in a better way, they will sound better and you will probably enjoy them a lot more.

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you start to turn up the volume, you ask more of your receiver and speakers. A receiver that is driven too hard can cause clipping which will damage the speakers. A speaker that is driven too hard can cause distortion which will damage the speakers. Operating a speaker and amplifier within their means, at a volume that is satisfactory to you is what I would call adequate.

People have different listening preferences and loud for one person may be just right for another. Movie theater reference sound is 85dB with 20dB of headroom, so that can generally be a good benchmark for people.

Those speakers will have no trouble hitting reference sound in your room, but in a big room where you are farther away, they may struggle a bit. If you can place your Dalis in a better way, they will sound better and you will probably enjoy them a lot more.
Unfortunately I really don't have the space. Would smaller speakers positioned better sound better?

I don't like to crank up the sound, not that it doesn't sound good, but there's a lot of deafness in my family, and I'm worried about ear damage. It sounds very nice at 60db. I thought maybe the amp is too small, because in the past when I when I had a larger amp (entry level sony) with floor speakers from the 60s or 70s, I didn't have to turn it it up much to fill the room. IDK the salesman said in my price range the marantz 1609 is the best avr for those speakers.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Unfortunately I really don't have the space. Would smaller speakers positioned better sound better?

I don't like to crank up the sound, not that it doesn't sound good, but there's a lot of deafness in my family, and I'm worried about ear damage. It sounds very nice at 60db. I thought maybe the amp is too small, because in the past when I when I had a larger amp (entry level sony) with floor speakers from the 60s or 70s, I didn't have to turn it it up much to fill the room. IDK the salesman said in my price range the marantz 1609 is the best avr for those speakers.
That receiver is fine for those speakers, I think you just need to play around with the placement and volume the best you can. Can you post a picture of the space so we can see what is going on and offer up any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
If you are unwilling or unable to properly position your speakers, than ANYTHING in that placement will sound bad.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Closet placement is a bad idea. Re-think the room layout so you can get the speakers out into the open. Replacing the speakers won't help, if the outcome is to put them into the same position.
x2...

Reactions: Deaf-Forever

·
Registered
18,411 Posts

Please share a few photos of your room, so we can see exactly what you're working with in terms of placement.

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree, it’s all about positioning as those speakers are fine for your room. In terms of when you use 1s vs 3s, that’s probably more about size and WAF than speaker output, though if you’re using bookshelves as main L/Rs, the 3s will be a bit fuller given the larger driver size. Regardless, both are capable. Pics and re-positioning would be helpful.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I've seen people place their surround speakers on top of their tv, so anything is possible.

Most of us started from a position of not knowing how this stuff works.

I'd say those Dali Zensor 3s are a perfect size for a room that size. And the amplification is fine.
And I agree with the suggestion to post a photo of how they are positioned since that might offer some chance of optimization.

That said, I'm a little confused by the idea that it's either too loud or too quiet.

Is it ALWAYS too loud or too quiet, or does it change during watching a movie or listening to a single song?

If it changes from too loud to too quiet while watching a movie, there is a simple solution:

After you do the Audyssey setup, turn on the Dynamic Volume setting to "Heavy" which will make quiet sounds louder and loud sounds quieter.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts

I had the same issue with both my Kef Q100's & LS50's in a similar size room. While my Denon 710w was driving them just fine, the speakers aren't very efficient and power hungry so like you was too loud or too low. Upgrading to a Denon X3400 and adding the Emotiva amp made a big difference. Adding a 2nd sub was a big help too.

A lot of the music I listen to doesn't do well at low volume. By that I don't mean cranking it up to 11, but definitely louder than waiting room volume.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts