AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,083 Posts
Speakers in a closet will sound like, well speakers in a closet. Your issue is definitely placement. This is like saying a car that goes 150 miles an hour wont go 35. Of course it will. Try taking them out of the closet. Its easy, and cheap.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to chime in but I’m wondering can they be to big when your close? I’m getting some Martin Logan Motion 35xti and will be normally 3 feet away from them. I had Yamaha hs8 before so I didn’t think much about the size as the tweeters will be at my ear level. Maybe I should downsize to the 15i which is a bit smaller?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That receiver is fine for those speakers, I think you just need to play around with the placement and volume the best you can. Can you post a picture of the space so we can see what is going on and offer up any suggestions?
Please share a few photos of your room, so we can see exactly what you're working with in terms of placement.
I would like to but I created this account hastily with my google account, and AVS won't let me change my handle. I don't want anyone being able to google me and see inside my house. I'll post them asap if someone expains how to change my handle.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you don’t want to position your speakers probably, you are probably better off with a sound bar which can be positioned properly.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I would like to but I created this account hastily with my google account, and AVS won't let me change my handle. I don't want anyone being able to google me and see inside my house. I'll post them asap if someone expains how to change my handle.
Try asking the admins directly here:

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Its hard to see, from those photos, where you sit while listening to music. (If you are mostly sitting at the computer, I'd move the computer desk one foot to the left and place the speakers on a couple of books on the desk flanking your main screen -- or, even better, on tall stands or wall mounted flanking the desk itself.)

That being said, I'd vote to put your speakers on that bookshelf. That is likely better.

But really using the Dynamic Volume in Audyssey is going to help you a lot in this situation, too.

--

Out of left field option: Sometimes in a less than ideal room, a good pair of headphones gives a far more satisfactory experience than speakers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have Dali Zensor 3s with Marantz 1609. The sound is either too quiet or blaring throughout the entire room. It seems there's really no just right level of volume. The room they are in is really small, maybe 10' by 12'. Can the speakers be too big for the room?

I guess maybe I don't have the right amp for the speakers too. I don't know.

I kinda think oberon 1s would have fit the room better.
I had Klipschorns in the same size room (bedroom) when I was 19 in '73. Yes they were too big. I can still see the Akai M8 playing Led Zeppelin with a Marantz 240 power amp. Crazy loud for the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Its hard to see, from those photos, where you sit while listening to music. (If you are mostly sitting at the computer, I'd move the computer desk one foot to the left and place the speakers on a couple of books on the desk flanking your main screen -- or, even better, on tall stands or wall mounted flanking the desk itself.)

That being said, I'd vote to put your speakers on that bookshelf. That is likely better.

But really using the Dynamic Volume in Audyssey is going to help you a lot in this situation, too.

--

Out of left field option: Sometimes in a less than ideal room, a good pair of headphones gives a far more satisfactory experience than speakers.
Is that the most jerry-rigged setup you ever saw?

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I've seen (heck, I've had and lived with) worse!

And what I have learned is that when a room is tough in terms of space or positioning things, headphones are awesome. I mean, life savers. They are also awesome in terms of bang for buck (value) in that for half the price of your current setup, you could get a really nice pair of headphones that would sound great.

Headphones don't work well for groups of people, of course.* But if this were my room, and I could use headphones instead of speakers and the receiver, I would. What is your source of music or video sound?

I'm assuming you are listening while sitting at the computer or near the computer or lying on the bed. I think headphones would sound better in those locations than the speakers are likely to....even if you put the speakers on the shelves.

But if you need to use speakers for some reason, that's cool. I'd put them on the shelves, and if they still have the volume problem I'd definitely use the Dynamic Volume setting in the receiver.

----
*It is possible rig up headphone setups for multiple listeners, but it can be fiddly.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Reactions: Deaf-Forever

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've seen (heck, I've had and lived with) worse!

And what I have learned is that when a room is tough in terms of space or positioning things, headphones are awesome. I mean, life savers. They are also awesome in terms of bang for buck (value) in that for half the price of your current setup, you could get a really nice pair of headphones that would sound great.

Headphones don't work well for groups of people, of course.* But if this were my room, and I could use headphones instead of speakers and the receiver, I would. What is your source of music or video sound?

I'm assuming you are listening while sitting at the computer or near the computer or lying on the bed. I think headphones would sound better in those locations than the speakers are likely to....even if you put the speakers on the shelves.

But if you need to use speakers for some reason, that's cool. I'd put them on the shelves, and if they still have the volume problem I'd definitely use the Dynamic Volume setting in the receiver.

----
*It is possible rig up headphone setups for multiple listeners, but it can be fiddly.

It's a Marantz nr1609. Now I'm listening to it just fine at 50. That's weird. I don't know why. I've had for 1.5 years, only using it a few hours sometimes on weekends. Maybe the new speakers needed to be broken in.

I just like the idea of a stereo. I'm not really into headphones.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
It's a Marantz nr1609. Now I'm listening to it just fine at 50. That's weird. I don't know why. I've had for 1.5 years, only using it a few hours sometimes on weekends. Maybe the new speakers needed to be broken in.

With speakers that close together, I am not sure what kind of "stereo" you're getting. That room cries out for a nice set of cans.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
With speakers that close together, I am not sure what kind of "stereo" you're getting. That room cries out for a nice set of cans.
I agree that headphones are what I would choose, but my wife, for example, would rather listen to her phone speaker than put on headphones. So I know some people hate headphones even if they are objectively delivering better quality sound.

Me, even with good speakers well placed in the room, I prefer headphones unless I am sitting in the sweet spot. And it lets me not only move around the room, or house, while retaining good sound quality but it also lets me listen at whatever volume I like without disturbing anyone. And I can use noise cancelling to block out background hum from air conditioning, traffic, etc.

Luckily we can each do what we want, regardless of what other people prefer.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts

I am glad to hear that it is working better for you now. Enjoy.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
In that case, the best thing you can do would be to reposition your desk diagonally to that corner, and put the speakers on desktop stands (Kanto SP-9) at the edges of the desk, or (probably better) use floor stands flanking the desk like this:

You can have the chair facing the corner (I'd try that first) or away from the corner like here:

21 - 40 of 51 Posts