AVS Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It's a Marantz nr1609. Now I'm listening to it just fine at 50. That's weird. I don't know why. I've had for 1.5 years, only using it a few hours sometimes on weekends. Maybe the new speakers needed to be broken in.

I just like the idea of a stereo. I'm not really into headphones.
Unlikely that the speakers changed. What changed was your perception, or possibly your settings on your receiver.

In that location you have three problems with the sound. First, the speakers are too close together for stereo separation. Second, the shelving is creating a resonant cavity that is likely disturbing the bass frequency response. Third, the tweeters are above ear level and not aimed properly at your ears.

Add number four, from that location the speakers don't reflect off the side walls in a controlled fashion for optimal imaging. Maybe add five, they are at the extreme far end of the room from you where proportionally more of the sound reaching you is reflected/indirect, particularly off the ceiling.

If you can mount them on the walls or set them on shelving/desk nearer to you at approximately ear level that will improve the sound. The corner placement of the desk that @Zorba922 suggested is a good option for a small rectangular room because it allows you to spread them out horizontally and also redirects the strong early lateral reflections away from your listening position while giving you stereo separation and also stimulating different frequencies of resonant room modes in the bass region for smoother bass response.

In addition to the excellent suggestions you already received, there's one more option if you must keep them in the closet.

Slide both of the closet doors to the middle of the opening and put the right speaker on the right side of the closet (assuming you have shelves on both ends of the closet that are similar in height). Turn the speakers on their tops with the tweeters on the bottom to bring the tweeters closer to ear level, and place the left/right speakers laterally centered in each of the left/right openings between the closet doors and the door frame for maximal clearance and widest unimpaired dispersion of the off-axis radiated sound from each speaker. Place the speakers toward the front surface of the shelf (maybe 1" back from the edge) so that the tweeters can radiate downward past the front edge of the shelf. You probably also want to put a towel or shelving paper on the shelf to protect the finish on the speakers.

The best way to figure out room acoustics is to experiment. All of the advice you got is worthless if you don't try it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I agree.

Assuming that most listening is done while sitting at the desk, moving the desk or ........ consider moving the speakers. Like this photo.

I might do something like that. I need to think how. The Zensor 3's would overcrowd my desk. I might have to put them in the living room, and see about some small speakers. I might the desk over too. I'm really not sure. I need to think what I"m doing to do. My condo is really small, and being from the suburbs in the USA, I'm really not good at dealing with these kinds of problems. Plus I don't consider myself an audiophile, but want pretty good sound.

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,067 Posts
I think I will move them to another room eventually. For now though, if the speaker is pointed directly at my left ear as a sit at the computer, do you think that could cause hearing damage even at low volumes?
If you keep the volume low, no. You could put an SPL meter right at your ear and measure.

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
I think I will move them to another room eventually. For now though, if the speaker is pointed directly at my left ear as a sit at the computer, do you think that could cause hearing damage even at low volumes?
Nope.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
(sarcasm) At moderate volumes it shouldn't hurt your hearing, but at any volume it will hurt the music! (/sarcasm)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

More seriously, in a room where I cannot sit between the speakers, I find that a MONO speaker/output tends to sound better than stereo. YMMV.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They are definitely not positioned good. In a closet. I didn't have another place to put them. But why would that make them either too loud or two soft. I thought I would lose distinction between left and right, and also richness in bass.
Well, the speakers size is not the problem. However, whenever you put the speakers in the closet you need to add a subwoofer, but it has to be mounted to the ceiling. I have done that and am totally happy with the result.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
why are "experts" in forums always so ****in caustic. Yeah it's a real question. I don't have another place to put them.
Sometimes people create accounts and make garbage posts about insoluble problems or ridiculous statements just to punk the forum and cause trouble. I've never seen one with pictures depicting the exact issues and communicating clearly, and didn't question your authenticity for a second.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The best solution is headphone.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts