AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, total newbie here.

I'm replacing my Pioneer HTIB with a mid-price Yamaha 7.1 receiver and a low-end Yamaha 5.1 speaker set. I'd like to re-purpose the front Pioneer speakers to be my "Zone B" speakers on the Yamaha.

But the label on back of the speakers has this warning: "Connection to any other amplifier [than the one they came with] may result in malfunction or fire."

Seriously?!? Or is that just CYA legalese?

The Pioneer speaker system is model S-HTD520. The speakers are labeled 115W & 8 ohms. The Yamaha receiver is advertised at 115W, but the specs say 110W per channel. And the new speakers are 6 ohms, so I guess I'll be changing the setting on the amp to that (or shouldn't I?)

So is there really a risk in connecting the Pioneer speakers to the Yamaha amp? I promise not to hold anyone here responsible if they burst into flames.

Thanks,

joelk

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
No. It's a stupid lawyer CYA clause they stuck in your manual. You'll be just fine using your old speakers with your new AVR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whew -- thanks!

Will it be OK to mix the old 8 ohms speakers with the new 6 ohms ones? And should I change the amp setting to 6 ohms, which all the speakers except the Zone B will be?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
It's always best to use the lowest impedance setting on the amplifier, because there are very few speakers that don't have a 4 ohm or 5 ohm impedance at some frequencies.

The impedance of any speaker is different at different frequencies, and the number the speaker manufacturer gives as the NOMINAL impedance is a very rough approximation of the AVERAGE for that speaker over the audio range of frequencies.

If 6 ohms is the lowest setting available, be sure to use it.

It is possible to set a speaker on fire, but only by exceeding its power limit by a huge amount and causing it to short out from overheating. It is very rare for that to happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.