AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 and while i watch Comcast / Xfinity XOD (on demand) for a few secs, or whenever i'm pausing the the program, my receiver goes berserk on the display, flicking a thousand times a second from Dolby Digital to Decoder off.

I'm concerned that this could be causing long term damage to my receiver.

Why don't i leave Comcast ? Cos i'm unfortunately sort of tied in through my HOA's.. Otherwise i'd be dropping their clunky slow uber poo service for something else.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats exactly as i have it. So i do not have to worry about having my receiver on to watch TV, or should i say, given my receiver has hdmi throughput, what input my receiver was set to, before i turned it off.

XOD has some decent episodes on Showtime and HBO, that i'd like to take full advantage of DD5.1 on. However not if there's a risk of it damaging my receiver if the signal flips back and forth a thousand times a second, during starts, ends and any pauses. Something internally on the receiver is being turned on and off faster than its supposed to.. and that cant be good.

Way to go Comcast !!!!

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Is your cable box connected to the receiver and TV through an HDMI cable. If so it sounds like you might just have an HDMI handshake issue. What happens is every time your cable box changes a channel or video display mode the display and receiver need to re-sync to the new display mode.

To fix this set your cable box to always output a constant resolution like 1080i or 720p. If it's set to change resolutions per channel then you'll get the re-sync issue. Also set you receiver to the same resolution as the TV.

Somme channels broadcast in 1080i, some 720p, and some 480p. So if your box is set to auto and your display and receiver don't handle the resolution changes every time you hit a channel with a different resolution than the previous channel you'll get the HDMI hand shake issue and things will flicker, crackle etc...

Look at the resolution on the cable boxes front display. It should show 1080i, 720p or 480p in small letters. Change to several different channels. Does it show a different resolution when you get the craziness?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As mentioned above, i dont have HDMI going to the receiver, just an optical output. So its not an HDMI handshaking issue. All channels work fine, its JUST while using Xfinity On Demand. When you pause the program, the Cable box switches between Decoder off and Dolby Digital at an extremely fast rate, so fast that it just sends the receiver's front display into a flickering mess.

my concern is turning something on and off that quickly normally doesn't do it any good. I'd hate to think that my cable box was doing some sort of damage to my relatively expensive (to me at least) receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts