AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, the installer is coming tomorrow to hook up DirecTV including the 160 and HD dish. I realize I could probably find out my answer pretty easliy in the maunal, but I am not opening the box until the installer says the dish will have clear line of sight and work fine because I don't want to eat the 15% restocking fee from Best Buy.

So, I hope to hook up the 160 to the PDP via DVI, but will obviously need the on screen displays and menu items. Is it safe to assume that these are available via DVI out, or will I need to hook up an S-Video cable too?

Thanks. Also, I know the 160 outputs all stations - D* regular; D* HD; OTAHD - via DVI, but how does it handle the stretching of the 4:3 feeds? I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to let the PDP handle the stretch via Component or S-Video? The PDP is a Samsung HMN6339.

Many thanks,

E. J.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yup, all menus/guides are available over DVI. The 160 will ouput 4:3 Pillar Box with your choice of gray or black bars, 16:9 Full and 16:9 Zoom. I guess you will just have to try different combos of both the 160 and the TV's modes to get what you want. You can d/l the manual from Samsung's website too.

Bob

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
not sure if this is the same for your "PDP", but my Mits...

when connected by DVI, there are only 2 stretch modes - standard (which makes 4:3 images fit entire screen) and HD expand (basically like zoom)

I usually leave it on standard

like bob said, the 160 has...

"full" (when 160 is set to 16:9 in the setup menu, this will stretch like standard)

"Zoom" (when 160 is set to 16:9 in the setup menu, this will zoom like HD expand)

"Pillar Box" (when 160 is set to 16:9 in the setup menu, this will put either gray or black, your choice in setup menu, on the sides for any NON HD/FoxWS programming)

So I have 3 options ...

set to "full" and TV to standard

set to "pillar box" and TV to HD expand

both of these fill the screen

set to "pillar box" and TV to standard

will have side bars

I personally do not mind stretched images, I don't think they look that bad (if it's not in OAR to begin with, how is stretching that much worse)

If you use component, there are many more stretch options

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I know with my two Samsung PDPs, when a HD signal is fed over component, you cant really do anything with the image in terms of stretching. So if I am watching NBCHD on my cable box over the component connection, it will have side black bars no matter what. Obviously HD fixes that.

So that was my concern with the plasma and the DVI connection. I cant bear to watch all non HD with side black bars, nor would I be happy with the burn effect on the plasma. It sounds like the 160 has some options, so I will check it out tomorrow after the install is started.

Don't know why I didnt check the website for a manual, I thought I had that damn website memorized. Anyway, found it and will read it tonight in prep for the installer tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

E. J.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.