AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Single chip DLPs show their three colors in sequence during the time a single frame is displayed, in order to fool your eye/brain into seeing them as a single color for that frame.

Three chip DLPs, LCDs, D-ILA's and CRTs don't. They all combine their three colors at the same time, and show it for the entire length of the frame.

Could this be some time of ultimate limitation that will always prevent single chip DLP color from looking as vivid, vibrant and saturated as the other technologies?

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greeting,

technically speaking, it seems to be the case, but my eye tell me that reality speaking, it is not! I really think that colour from DLP is better than LCD and come very close to CRT. The one I am using is NEC LT-150..

Just my opinion, though

phrsd230

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
milori - i remember this thread. i think it is hard to compare 2 implementations of these architectures and determine what the two architectures are capable of. each as a different bulb, different light output, different electronics, lenses and so on. 3 chip units are typically more expensive, higher lumen, and built with higher grade optics.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess another way to look at it is:

How fast does a strobe light have to flash in order to look just as solid and saturated as a constant light source?

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Isn't the color wheel in single-panel DLP projectors the the underlying cause of the "rainbow" effect? Especially during scenes where the camera pans quickly or there is a lot of onscreen motion, I have observed people and objects appear to shimmer and split apart into three slightly out-of-phase RGB "ghosts".

For example, back in February when I was auditioning projectors I viewed a scene on a single-panel DLP (don't remember the model, might've been the LT150) where a white car was zooming by left-to-right in the frame. As the car passed the frame midpoint, I clearly observed it appear to seperate into three red, green and blue cars almost (but not quite) superimposed on top of each other. Very disconcerting, and the reason why I chose to live with the "screen-door" effect of my VT540 LCD projector--at least the color reproduction is stable and faithful to the source material.

------------------

Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
THe answer to this question lies in researching the physics of persistence of vision. the same argument could be made when talking about still pictures shown quickly as in video.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott,

Yep, that's what causes it.

Dizz,

This might be a twist on persistance. It's a little different than whether your brain/eye will average and smooth the two events into one. It's about whether there is any dilution of intensity of color due to that averaging as a result of less objective information being there during the experience time.

------------------

Joe

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
There was a great thread here from a person who owned both a single and a three chip DLP.

He took pictures of both projectors displaying the same source material at the same time.

The color from the one-chip DLP was very good, but the color from the three-chip was outstanding. This could also be due to a different lamp type in the projector (possibly Xenon instead of UHP).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.