AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RCA H50WH72S DLP, and when I turn it on, the power light blinks 5 times and then goes out. It does this 3 or 4 times and then it turns off completely. While it's doing this, I can hear the audio fine. The owner's manual says that when it does that, the bulb is blown out or the door is open on the back. However, sometimes after about the 4th or 5th time of cycling through the blinking, it comes on and works fine for several hours. Last night I couldn't get it to come on at all, so I made sure all the connections to the bulb were secure and that the door was properly closed and I still can't get it to come on. Is it possible that the light was on it's way out but would still work fine on occasion, or is it probably something else? This is the first trouble I've had with the TV in the 2 years I've had it and I don't use it that much, so I don't know what happens when the bulb dies. I assumed it would just go out.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It is either the ballast or the bulb since the ballast does not seem to be capable of starting the bulp every time.

If your owner's manual says it is the bulb and if the brightness from the bulp is not as good as it should be and if the bulp has not been replaced in the last 2-4 years then it is most likely only the bulb.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Symptoms can vary depending on mfr/model. Lamp and/ballast are to be suspected. Always try lamp first because it is the easiest to change and having an extra lamp around is not such a bad thing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a Sony LCD table top projection, my tv made some nasty sounds just after an earthquake. The green light flashed a few times and turned red. I still had use of the tv for about 3 days and finally while I watching it the screen went black and I only had sound. Turned it off and back on with no luck. Called the warrenty center and sent out a repair guy who simply replaced the bulb made some picture adjustments. My tv was about 2 years old at the time and those bulb things don't last as long as they claim. You could save yourself some money and just buy the bulb and not the whole bulb plus housing. Half the cost and simple to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I took the back of the TV off to see where the ballast was and what all I was going to have to do to replace it if I had to, and while I was in there I noticed that one of the capacitors on the power supply board was round on top instead of flat. After a little research I found that a couple of capacitors on that board were known to be problematic and people were having the same trouble I was. So I went to Radio Shack and bought 3 capacitors, replaced the 3 problematic ones, fired it up and it works perfectly. Total cost to repair: $4.78.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.