AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Denon 5805ci Eliminate the Pre/Pro, Pre-Amp, Amp for this Configuration???

I'm new to this forum and new to this hobby but I've been posting a few threads asking for input. Because of many responses, I'm thinking of getting the following:

Vandersteen 3A Sigs for L/R mains

Vandersteen VCC-5 for Center Channel

Vandersteen VSM Sigs (2) for backs

JL Audio F113 subwoofer or an SVS PB12/Ultra (both already amped)

My question is this: Can the Denon 5805ci push all of this and replace the pre/pro, the pre-amp, and a good amp and still make this configuration rock? I read an Audioholics review that didn't just imply, but seemed to actually state that the separates could go away if you bought the Denon. Am I missing out on something here or am I being naive by putting all my eggs in one basket?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/input you may provide

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

Potentially. You would have to find somebody that has used the AVR with these speakers though to gain any additional confidence about the setup.

You're probably right. The receiver hasn't been out that long and there probably aren't a lot of people who have implemented it into their systems. With higher end systems especially, and with many of those people having separates, maybe this is a futile question as most people wouldn't replace their existing separates with a single Denon at this price. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
czuponcic,

[email protected] should be enough to drive the 3A Signatures properly.

The photos on Denon's website don't show external connections between preamp and amp stages.

I own 3A Signatures but I have a separates setup (initial budget reasons). I see a lot of convenience benefits from having a receiver, however.

If you decided to add the 2W/2WQ subwoofer to your 3A Sig fronts, for example, you would not be able to insert the X2 or MP-H5 crossovers for the sub.

- Steve O.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I can't imagine this wouldn't work very well. Don't forget your 3A's can be biamped and the 5805 has three addtional amps that can be used for biamping. I'm not familiar with your center channel speaker, but if it can be biamped you'd have one for that as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady /forum/post/0

I can't imagine this wouldn't work very well. Don't forget your 3A's can be biamped and the 5805 has three addtional amps that can be used for biamping. I'm not familiar with your center channel speaker, but if it can be biamped you'd have one for that as well.

EGRADY - please pardon my naivete, but what does bi-amping buy me? If the 5805 has power 20 some watts of power to push each speaker, why would I need to bi-amp any speaker (I'm assuming bi-amping means doubling up an amp for each speaker - true?)? I'm sure there's a benefit here but I don't quite see it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Part of your original question was if the 5805 had enough juice to drive your speakers. The 5805 has the ability to drive up to ten speakers. If you only use it for one 7.1 system, you have three amps left over you can use to biamp any of your speakers that have biamp ability. Your 3A's do. So, you can use one amp to drive the tweeter and one to drive the bass. The effect is you can double the available power for your 3A's. The same for your center speaker, if it can be biamped.

You may not want or need to do this, but it's there if you want to. I'm not an expert on Vandersteens, but I believe they usually work better when biamped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.