AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the DTC100 tell your OTA signal strength if so how? I have it hooked up to my XBR400 TV. Just wondering if anyone has the same setup and any tips you could give for the both of them.

THANKS Ty

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

This is probably meaningless but true: I believe that one is really not getting a strength reading with the DTC100. It is an error rate reading. Higher error rate means a lower reading. I write this only because it can be confusing to see it vary so widely as if the station is putting out a constant variation is power. Art.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also the signal strength reading is non-linear. As signals get stronger the reading tends to saturate and increase slowly if at all as the signal strength is increased further. I have observed the signal strength reading for the four local DTV stations here with various levels of attenuation in the antenna lead. For the two strongest stations adding a 10dB pad has no efffect. They read 88 with or without the pad. For the station operating at low power the reading is 88 with no pad and 82 with 10dB loss. Adding another 10dB of attenuation causes the two strongest stations to drop to 81 but the low power station drops to 40. The effect of being at low power becomes much more apparent as attenuation is added as would be expected. I have also noticed that not all DTC-100s read the same. I have seen a couple that max out at readings of 94 instead of the 88 that my unit limits at.

[This message has been edited by R. Boyce (edited 03-18-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes it does. just hit menu, 7, 2 and then the right arrow or cursor. You can scroll up and down through the channels to get the strength of other channels as well. Only works for Digital Channels though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.