AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the deal with this set? Will it suffer burnin like CRT RP's if you watch too much 4:3 material or not? I can't seem to get a straight answer.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
DLP and LCD can't burn in because there are no lines being scanned to form the image. There are no phosphors that activate. A regular direct-view TV will burn in before a LCD or DLP will ever burn in (and people of my generation who grew up with Pong can testify to that).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
I can't seem to get a straight answer.
Why can't u get a straight answer, I'm curious as too who ever told u that it would burn in? The only person that ever told me that it did burn in, was some dip sales chick that didn't seem to know much about anything electronic..

rhuala

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
My understanding is that it is possible for a LCD to suffer from excessive heat build up. With a DLP they can put a heat sink on the back and it will also reflect most of the light. When a LCD shuts the light off it is absorbing the heat.

I was recently talking to someone who saw very slight darkening on the sides of wide screen images on his Sony projector after about 2000 hours of mostly 4:3 material. This projector I believe has a 200 watt bulb with the same panels as the GWII. He said it went away after about 2000 hours of only wide screen material. The effect was apparently slow to develop and slow to disappear.

The question is will 100 watts be a problem with the GWII. I don't think we really know yet, but I am betting it won't.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read over at HTV and was told by some sales people in high end stores that they have heard of burnin after a long period of time being possible. But it sounds like that is very remote if what umr says is correct.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
But it sounds like that is very remote if what umr says is correct.
I am not sure what UMR is describing, but it is definitely not "burn in", "Burn in" is simply not possible via LCD

·
Registered
853 Posts
There is an anomaly called "panel bleaching" that can occur with excessive concentration of light consistently on a portion the image raster.

Sharp knows all about this in its early days with LCD front projection.

While the symptom exhibited is not specifically the same as with CRT, it can become noticeable over time when watching material with full solid color raster information (the ice on a hockey game for instance).

It is not unlike going to a sports bar that employs LCD FPTV, and seeing large color blotches (a huge yellow spot, for example) in the middle of the image.

I would not be overly concerned about this unless 4:3 was going to dominate your viewing 90% of the time for perhaps a year or longer.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How serious is the dead pixel issue?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Usually a pixel that is dead out of the box is the last dead pixel you'll ever see on an LCD. If the transistor that controls the pixel works out of the fab, it typically works forever. It's a transistor.

As for burn in, I concur it's impossible. There is, I suppose, this theoretical phenomenon where if the sides of the panel are never used and the middle is, maybe just maybe there would be some minimal effect over time. I personally doubt that, however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.