AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a Leeza. I am currently using an Extron SS 220 to handle sync conversion, because my Dwin HD-700 only takes negative sync and the DTC-100 STB only puts out positive. I was going to sell the Extron because I kind of thought that the Leeza would handle that sync polarity inversion for me. But, now I'm a little paranoid and I notice that it only specifically indicates that it does this conversion during component to RGB conversion. But what about the DTC-100, which would just be in passthrough mode? Will it do this polarity conversion for me, or would I still have to keep the Extron to do that?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
My Leeza has a setting for either positive or negative sync. I'm not sure if that is what you need or not...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, the word from the horse's mouth is that it will only do it while converting from component to RGB. It won't do it for RGB passthrough, which would be the case for the DTC-100's HD signal going through the Leeza. Oh well... Either I buy a new STB (and I'm not sure any new ones are that much better than the DTC anyway), or I keep the Extron. I'll have to think about it.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Wow, I just re-read the original post and I just realized he was talking about the HD pass-thru on the Leeza, not it's scaled outputs, sorry Dean:(!!!

Ofer and Tom are correct then, it's obvious that it won't change sync polarity on the pass-thru of the Rock or the Leeza.

Thanks Guys!!! I don't know how I missed that:rolleyes:???

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, its not *obvious* that it wouldn't. It has the ability to change sync polarity on other signals, and they could have chosen to provide the option on signals that otherwise ostensibly 'just passing through'. I suggested to them that they provide this. It probably wouldn't be difficult to do, and enough people have to deal with this issue that it would be nice to have it dealt with all in one box. I mean, why did they provide the ability to change the sync polarity during component to RGB conversion? I would assume they did it because people need to have the polarity inverted sometimes. It stands to reason that it might be required on other signals passing through the Leeza. Remember that the Leeza is a switcher also, not just a scaler. In its switcher capacity, since everything goes through it even if not scaled by it, it would be nice for it to provide this capability on passthrough signals.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi Dave,The Rock,and leeza i believe,will only scale and provide sync adjustments on a 480 interlaced input. Hence the need for a straight HDTV pass thru.The true problem here is the DTC-100's positive sync only.Many projectors will only accept a negative sync and i suppose you could also point a finger at the projector designers.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Hi Dave,The Rock,and leeza i believe,will only scale and provide sync adjustments on a 480 interlaced input
Actually, unless I'm misreading the manual, it will also provide sync control on HD signals that it has converted from component to RGB. Which leads one to believe that its completely capable hardware wise of doing it on a passed through HD signal as well.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Dean,

I believe what your saying sounds like it makes sense, but I think what's happening is when it's fed a component signal, the H and V syncs are on the "Y" channel, and in the process of stripping the sync from "Y" and transcoding the Y,Cb,Cr to RGBHV, you are given a choice what polarity you want the built-in transcoder to output the separate syncs in. When you only pass-thru an RGBHV signal, the syncs are separate and don't have to go thru said hardware to pass-thru the unit, so the ability to change the polarity is not there in that scenario.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But that's just an arbitrary decision. It can transcode both ways, i.e. it can also transcode RGB to YUV. So, clearly (I assume) the HD RGB inputs are going through the same ciruitry and it's just an arbitrary decision not to do anything if you choose not to transcode it as it passes through. I couldn't imagine it would be any other way, since the decision to transcode or not is software based. So they could, I would think, perhaps even with just a software upgrade, change the polarity of the signal by doing a null transcode step and just changing the polarity.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it could have just been designed with that arbitrary decision in mind and so some detail makes it impossible to actually do. But, just thinking about the current design, I would think that it should be doable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.