AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the small Sony VPL-CS1 and similar little sonys input component signal through the data-plug? Someone claimed they can with a special cable similar to the LT150 one. If so then they would be pretty good value here except for the fact that they can't be ceiling-mounted.

EDIT:

Also, which is better for HT, the CS3 or the CX1? Is the scaler in these good?

EDIT:

I really need to know which of the two (CS3 or CX1) is better for HT/DVD use. I will NOT use HTPC. Which will look better, the SVGA or the XGA one?

[This message has been edited by tahustvedt (edited 09-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by tahustvedt (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*BUMP*

I guess any PJ with a 15-pin computer connection can do this now that I think bout it. Am I right?

If it's used with a HTPC it would be possible to ceiling mount it but flipping the picture in the software of the HTPC. Or is there something inside the projector that prevents this? It should be solid state except for the fan, right?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I can confirm that the CPL-VS1 is capable of RGBHV or component input through the 15 pin VGA connector. The proper input needs to be selected through the projector's set up menus. Since the CS3 and CX1 are upgrades to the CS1 I'm sure they support this also.

The projector can be ceiling mounted and the image flipped in an HTPC using Pivot Pro or similar software (see this thread ). All video signals would have to be processed by the HTPC in order for this to be effective. Only refresh rate supported is 60Hz (although this seems to give good results with the Sony units).

The main fan for these units is located under the projector, so consider extra cooling or a well cooled hush box if ceiling mounting/

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can confirm that the CX1 can take component input as I own one. But that said a HTPC kicks ass !!!

I had a CS1 on try and it was able to do 71.929Hz as it is a VESA standard ([email protected]). I cannot say about the CS2/CS3 but I would assume.

I would buy the CX1 over the CS2 as they go for around the same price and the CX1 has XGA.

I have not checked the scaler as I use a HTPC - sorry !

I'm very glad for my CX1 as it produces a very good picture for the money. If you don't want to pay the double I think this is a VERY nice projector. It's not perfect - but very cheap !

Best regards,

Thomas.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I too own a CX1 since 7/01. I like its lower priced 2000 hr cooler bulb ($257 at www.comark.com ). Its main weakness is 550 lumens though if your room is dark it should be fine. Another weakness is dead pixels (mine is at Sony now since 8/14/01 for repair). The reason it's taking so long is the new replacement panels had dead pixels too :-( so they had to order more. Good news is I got a loaner (brand new CX1). It can accept regular component though not progressive component (480p). It'll do VGA progressive as I'm using HTPC. RCA DTC-100 via VGA will work too. I have mine on a shelf against rear wall about 54 inches above floor. I sit below it and the picture is great (great color, sharp picture, very dark greys for blacks) 13 feet from screen. No screen door noticeable until less than 10 feet. My picture size is 80"X34" (2.35:1 format), 80"X45" (16:9 format), 64"X48" (4:3 format) viewing on a 4'X8'X1/4" tileboard (glossy white laminate on panelling type wood). I'd rather have the NEC LT150 but missed the Dell's deal. I'm waiting until it drops to around 2K to buy. I can then sell this to my friends/family. Its contrast is only 200:1 but the image is good enough for now. I like the zoom as it allows me to shrink image to fit my screen and masking. HTPC gives the best image. I run it native at 1024 X 768 X 32bit X 60Hz and uses WinDVD 2.8 and Hitachi GD7500 (12x DVD player). At 75 Hz I got tearing on panning scenes. Its scaler is good as VHS and cable TV via composite is decent, and Svideo via interlaced Toshiba STB DVD player with 16:9 squeeze is very good though HTPC is still best. Svideo allows you to control aspect ratio and color saturation whereas VGA does not (you'll have to control this with your PC). HTPC allows you to place the 16:9 window anywhere along the 4:3 panel which helps masking and screen placement. Heck for $1700 it's a great deal. DLP may give better picture but you'll have to pay more and more for bulbs ($500 for 1000 hr bulb). The noise level is great with the Sony (39 db but low pitch so not noticeable) unlike the color wheel of the DLP which is higher pitch so more noticeable. DLP may have less risk for dead mirrors although possible. DLP blacks and contrast will be much better though the colors may be less saturated and slightly more green (correctable with calibration or screen colors). I would not get the SVGA LCD as resolution is inadequate for HDTV and screen door will be more noticeable.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really need to know which of the two (CS3 or CX1) is better for HT use. I will NOT use HTPC. Which will look better, the SVGA or the XGA one?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Definitely the XGA as there will be less screen door, more TV lines (HDTV ready), and sharper imaging. The CS3 has only 200 more lumens which is not noticeable unless you have them side by side. Both will need darkened room unless you get a 1500+ lumens projector which means $$$$$. For the same price, definitely go with the XGA LCD. Even if you get dead pixels, XGA will be less noticeable than SVGA. Only go with SVGA if you were to pick DLP. If your sitting distance is farther than 15 feet the SVGA may be OK but less than that needs XGA. Rule is at least 1.5X screen width for sitting distance for XGA LCD/SVGA DLP and at least 2X for SVGA LCD.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone tried the new CX2 which also is pretty cheap? Can't find any info about contrast or bulblife.

//Patrick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.