AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the NEC LT150 display a 4:3 S-Video source within a 16:9 screen without moving the projector? I read some comments that implied that Native Resolution puts the image at the bottom of the 4:3 DMD panel. If the Cinema Aspect Ratio and Native Resolution is selected, will a 4:3 image be projected entirely within a 16:9 screen? If this works I suppose I could use a macro to switch aspect ratios.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darian:
So you have this 4:3 1024x768 imaging device that can not get burn in. Lets look at the applications for this thing. DVD? Heck yeah! HDTV? You better believe it! NTSC??? Hmmm what about good old NTSC?

Here is my line of reasoning.

Should I just get a 16:9 screen? I watch anamorphc DVDs and HiDef most of the time on this projector. When I actually want to watch something in good old NTSC 4:3 what should I do??? Well the scaller and deinterlacer in this thng s not perfect. It is pretty good thou. I noticed a nice little feature. When displaying something be it in RGB or video there is a selection for AUTO and NATIVE. Auto scales the image to fill up the DMD panel. Now native just puts the image SMACK DAB in the middle of the DMD. There is no scalling to this image and it maps to 640x480. It looks pretty good infact it looks pretty sharp too. If you take the native display and back it up to fill the 100" screen, you can see the screen door effect. (No need to build a slidding track!)

So if 85% of my viewing is going to be HDTV or 16:9 DVDs would I be better served with a 16:9 screen. When I want to watch 4:3 NTSC I could just flip the projector to Native. I would get a smaller but sharper 4:3 image in the middle of the DMD panel.

·
Registered
304 Posts
anyone?

again, can the LT150 be used w/ a 16:9 screen WITHOUT the use of a scaler -OR- HTPC -OR- optical add-ons?

[This message has been edited by bossmonkey (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't have a 16:9 screen, but when you select the "native" setting from the resolution menu, a 4:3 image appears in the middle of the screen. I assume this is a 640x480 image as I run 480p via component all the time (either through a Prog DVD or DVDo).

Thus, this would work but might not be a perfect fit. Still, you could watch 4:3 within your screen.

-Dave

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave E in TX:
I don't have a 16:9 screen, but when you select the "native" setting from the resolution menu, a 4:3 image appears in the middle of the screen. I assume this is a 640x480 image as I run 480p via component all the time (either through a Prog DVD or DVDo).

Thus, this would work but might not be a perfect fit. Still, you could watch 4:3 within your screen.

-Dave

i thought the problem was that this smaller 4:3 "native" image DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE CENTER of the screen, making this feature useless for 16:9 screen owners.

are you saying that the top & bottom edges of the "native" 4:3 and the "cinema" 16:9 image are indeed aligned?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bossmonkey:
i thought the problem was that this smaller 4:3 "native" image DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE CENTER of the screen, making this feature useless for 16:9 screen owners.
I reported this problem.

When I tested the LT150 for my review, native mode displayed the image in the middle of the screen horizontally, but placed it at the bottom of the DMD vertically. I never found a way to shift the image up using the menu, so my belief is you will need a scaler to move it for you.

This will not be the case, however for panamorph users. The panamorph reduces the image 33% from the top so you will need to align the bottom of the DMD with the bottom of your screen. This has the side effect of making native mode properly display your image in the middle of the 16:9 screen. However, it also will mean that non-anamorphic material will no longer fit on your 16:9 screen unless you are willing to watch it in native mode.

--Les

·
Registered
589 Posts
All the below may be old news to you, but just in case...

As I read the manual, There are at least 2 ways to use a 16:9 screen:

1. Make the height of the screen equal to the 4:3 height and use "Cinema mode" for 16:9 images. This gives black bars on top and bottom.

2. Make the height of the screen equal to the 4:3 height, put projector in "normal mode" (skinny) and use an ISCO lense to stretch it out to 16:9. This is the best one, if pincushion is acceptable.

Native mode is a 1 to 1 mapping of any lower resolution source (don't know where it's placed on the screen), also, there are both vertical and horiz move controls.

------------------

Jim Story

Live long and Prosper

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:

When I tested the LT150 for my review, native mode displayed the image in the middle of the screen horizontally, but placed it at the bottom of the DMD vertically. I never found a way to shift the image up using the menu, so my belief is you will need a scaler to move it for you.
the above noted the problem w/ the inability to move the small "native" 4:3 image

but then:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Story:

Native mode is a 1 to 1 mapping of any lower resolution source (don't know where it's placed on the screen), also, there are both vertical and horiz move controls.

the above seems to indicate that the "native" 4:3 image CAN indeed be moved...

SO, can the "native" image be moved to fit in the same area as the 16:9 cinema area, to allow 16:9 screen owners to use the LT150 WITHOUT scalers, HTPC, optical lenses??

can a LT150 owner PLEASE settle this for once & all??

thks!

[This message has been edited by bossmonkey (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm able to answer my question now. When viewing an S-Video source with Resolution set to Native the image is projected entirely within a 16:9 screen, centered horizontally and vertically. My LT150 was manufactured in February 2001. Did NEC update the firmware? Do older LT-150's display Native Resolution at the bottom of the DMD panel?

·
Registered
93 Posts
signal,

does the native image fill the full height of the 16:9 screen? theoretically, a 16:9 image would be 575 pixels high (1024 x 575) and the native image would only be 480 pixels tall (640 x 480), right? so watching a native image on a 16:9 screen would still show some small black bands at the top and bottom (and of course the sides). can you verify this?

also, how do the s-video images (4:3, 16:9 and native) look? how would you rate the internal scaler? pretty good? i just want to know since i won't have the luxury of a progressive scan dvd or an iscan for now.

tnx.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The native image does not fill the full height of the 16:9 screen; the screen is dark above and below the native image. That's ok with me because my 4:3 sources are generally of lower quality/resolution than 16:9 sources, so I'd rather display a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen.

It's difficult for me to evaluate the quality of the scaler without having anything to compare it with yet. Can anyone recommend a scaler that will work with a 16:9 screen and improve the quality of S-Video sources like DirecTV?

S-Video with DVD is noticably better. I'll have more information when I receive my Panasonic RP-91 and can compare a progressive scan component source with S-Video.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Signal:
The native image does not fill the full height of the 16:9 screen; the screen is dark above and below the native image.
Does the same apply to component input ??

camoura

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.