AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to learn about HTPC's, but know computers well, and also starting to build a home theater with a Sanyo PLV-Z1 front projector. I was thinking of buying a DVD player and PVR, but then I've got an older computer lying around and wondering if I can convert it to a HTPC? Here are the specs:

Intel P200MMX

96MB SDRAM

Asus TX-97 motherboard, , 3 ISA/3 PCI/1 Mediabus slots, USB1.0

4MB ATI Rage II PCI Video Card

Sound Blaster 16

6 GB Hard Drive

No DVD drive yet.

Could this slower system work as a DVD player and PVR? What hardware and O/S would you guys recommend? Is going with Linux my best option? I also want this machine to connect to a home network with 2 other compuers running Win 2K and Win XP.

Thanks very much.

Peter

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I don't think it will. I was using a p3 450 with 320 ram and a radeon 9000 in hardware mode and it was dropping frames often in high bitrate scenes. A p200 is a lot slower and you don't have the benefit of the radeon hardware acceleration. PVR defintely needs a lot more cpu for on-the-fly encoding. Sorry :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I read in Popular Science once that LInux doesn't need a fast machine to do PVR. Even a 486 would work. Is that a bit of a myth?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.