AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I know that the Polk's can't go lower than 47 Hz, and even that might be generous, but can they be set as Large?

I have a Denon 1611 and just the Polk M60's setup up right now with a BIC 12.

I really only listen to music these days so the sub has been giving me a headache. I can't find a good spot for it and it becomes way too boomy, it even causes "pressure" build up in my right ear. I know, that sounds weird but when I turn the sub off, everything sounds clearer and I can actually listen to music without looking at my sub and feeling pressure in my ear lol

So my question is, can I just do away with the sub and leave the speakers as full range? Will it cause problems? Will my receiver get overloaded or will the speakers die?

I mean, I'd like to keep the sub but... In a 10' by 10' room with a 12' sub, I have no real solution.

I bought everything thinking it would work but didn't do any research on how room size, placement, treatment, and speakers affect sound quality.

In info would be greatly appreciated! Just want to make sure that I can listen to music with them running as full.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Receiver should be fine driving a 2 M60s in full range mode without subwoofer.

If you listen loud for a long period of time your receiver could heat up but it should be fine

Why not turn the bass on the sub to almost nill and the subwoofer level on the receiver to almost nil. It would limit your bass a bit

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that and it seemed pointless to have it low like that...

It seemed like I was missing some info when I had it like that.

When I switched it to Stereo without subwoofer, music sounded clearer and much more detailed.

I think the subwoofer is killing my imaging lol

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidate /forum/post/19633361

I tried that and it seemed pointless to have it low like that...

It seemed like I was missing some info when I had it like that.

When I switched it to Stereo without subwoofer, music sounded clearer and much more detailed.

I think the subwoofer is killing my imaging lol

understood

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The subwoofer on one of my systems died about ten days ago. I have been running my large floorstanders (that go to 35-40 Hz) with no problem for action movies. The bass is fine just not what it was previously.

In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200 and the Lava LSP12.

The Emotiva Ultra 10" or 12" might also be a good choice in a small room.

The Hsu STF-2 would easily handle your room and sound very good (particularly with music).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler
The subwoofer on one of my systems died about ten days ago. I have been running my large floorstanders (that go to 35-40 Hz) with no problem for action movies. The bass is fine just not what it was previously.

In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200 and the Lava LSP12.

The Emotiva Ultra 10" or 12" might also be a good choice in a small room.

The Hsu STF-2 would easily handle your room and sound very good (particularly with music).
I honestly can't believe that. I really don't see how a different subwoofer would get rid of sound energy build up in my small 10 ft by 10 ft room... Hell, when I snap my fingers I can hear distortion in my room, there's almost an echo in here at times...

I know I messed up with my purchase but if I can at least run two speakers full range, that'd be great.

I also thought about lowering the gain on the sub to a minimal and crossing over at 40 Hz. 60 Hz is boomy so that won't work. Since the speakers go down to 47 Hz on the spec sheet, it won't really make a difference with power handling on the receiver side but at least my sub won't dust in the corner lol

Of course there may be a chance that a different sub would actually work better with my room, though I doubt it, so I'll see if I can grab my uncles REL sub. I think his was in the 1k price range, so if there is a woofer that can make a difference, its probably an expensive one. won't hurt to check lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... The subwoofer isn't working for me. It just messes up the imaging in music and creates pressure on one side of my head (How weird is that?)

In any case, I decided to scrap it and disconnected it.

I'm just going to run Polk Monitor 60's with the Denon 1611.

For music, I think 75 WPC is going to be plenty and shouldn't hurt anything.

I mean that's how they rate it anyway, two channels lol

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts