AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright... I've had a Series1 Tivo for about a year now, and am vaguely proficient at hacking it.. So I have a few questions..

First off, I like the interface on the Replay TV, it does have a few things going for it, such as the way the channel guide is layed out, as well as the picture viewer and screensaver.

Buuut...i'd like to know a few things.

1) I found the "Position Meter" in the 243 Zones thing...weak, to say the least. Is there anything like what the Tivo has, where whenever you move around in the show it gives a graphical representation at the bottom of the screen saying where you are in terms of that particular hour or recording?

2) Is MyReplayTv the best / only way to do web control of the box?

3) I've read through the forum, and seem to find a lot of people getting the odd shutters in the picture randomly, i've seen it too...is there supposedly a software fix coming anytime soon? I got this one at BestBuy and can return it before January 31st...but I'd rather not..

4) Is there any reason why it takes like...five-ten seconds for the image to come up when changing channels on the internal tuner, and how can I make it be faster?

I like the system, but there are a few things i'm used to on the Tivo... Heck, I could even keep both, why not? :)

Thanks for the help, and yes...I did look around for answers, but I think these are a bit off-normal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jahntassa
Allright... I've had a Series1 Tivo for about a year now, and am vaguely proficient at hacking it.. So I have a few questions..

First off, I like the interface on the Replay TV, it does have a few things going for it, such as the way the channel guide is layed out, as well as the picture viewer and screensaver.

Buuut...i'd like to know a few things.

1) I found the "Position Meter" in the 243 Zones thing...weak, to say the least. Is there anything like what the Tivo has, where whenever you move around in the show it gives a graphical representation at the bottom of the screen saying where you are in terms of that particular hour or recording?

No.

2) Is MyReplayTv the best / only way to do web control of the box?

The only way. (Without using a remote desktop on your home computer)

3) I've read through the forum, and seem to find a lot of people getting the odd shutters in the picture randomly, i've seen it too...is there supposedly a software fix coming anytime soon? I got this one at BestBuy and can return it before January 31st...but I'd rather not..

There might be.

4) Is there any reason why it takes like...five-ten seconds for the image to come up when changing channels on the internal tuner, and how can I make it be faster?

It buffers for a few seconds before displaying the new channel. You can not make it faster. A future software update may speed this up.

I like the system, but there are a few things i'm used to on the Tivo... Heck, I could even keep both, why not? :)

Thanks for the help, and yes...I did look around for answers, but I think these are a bit off-normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
I found the "Position Meter" in the 243 Zones thing...weak, to say the least. Is there anything like what the Tivo has, where whenever you move around in the show it gives a graphical representation at the bottom of the screen saying where you are in terms of that particular hour or recording?
You can simply press the "Display" button for a numeric indication of where you are in the program, as well as the length of the program. That has always been exactly what I've wanted to know (how many minutes I'm into the show, and thus how many minutes are left by inference). I'm not sure what point a "graphical" indicator would serve except perhaps for people who aren't good with numbers. :)

Quote:
Is MyReplayTv the best / only way to do web control of the box?
Only, no. It's possible to have custom software handle this job and then send it off to the ReplayTV through a proxy server instead of the actual MyReplayTV data, which you can force your ReplayTV to check frequently. But it's not necessarily simple for most people to do that, and AFAIK, no one has released their MyReplayTV replacements for public use.

Best, probably, at least right now.

Quote:
Is there any reason why it takes like...five-ten seconds for the image to come up when changing channels on the internal tuner, and how can I make it be faster?
It's simply buffering and compressing the video, and then displaying it to you when it has built up enough of a compressed stream such that the decompressor can start decompressing it and showing it to you. If it were programmed to do less buffering, it would be at the cost of video quality, because MPEG-2 compression works with frames both in the past and in the future, so to compress a frame well you must have a good set of both previous and future frames. (For a brief overview of MPEG-2 compression, follow this link .)

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.