·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you've tried this setup? Or only heard of someone

with it?

Your answer is a little confusing.

I'm assuming you've tried it with no success, but have

heard of others who have had success with it.

Thanks,

Rey

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Oh sorry, yeah that was a pretty badly worded responce...

I'll try again :)

I heard this was possible, so I for experimentation I put my sub in a different room. The result were unsatisfactory. However I have heard of people that do run with this kind of set up. But not around here for some time.

- Rick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for clarifying. Since my A/V receiver will be in the

room in question, it will be easy enough to try it for myself.

Thanks again,

Rey

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
If that's the only option you have, then you may have a difficult time trying to get the best from your sub.

I look at it this way... If you have a telephone in another room, can you hear it ringing when you get a call? Probably yes... but if it's in the same room, it get's your attention a lot qucker! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
maybe if you cut a small hole in the wall and vent the port out of the sub into your viewing room. Other than that it probably wont sound too good.
The port doesn't reproduce sound over the entire operating range of the sub (i.e. it won't work).

elRey,

Do a search on Infinite baffle subwoofers (essentially using the other room as an enclosure for your subs).

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hi

A long list of "ifs"

if you have an empty room of suffucient volume

If the room is reasonnably sealed and communicate with your HT room, through the front of the HT.

If you are a DIY

If you have $1500

Then you should consider what amny called one of the best bass around both in term of power and quality. An infinte baffles, may be the way to go... I have read numbers from an infinte baffle that can just destroy an house. 120 dB at 16 Hz. Go to this site. I am waiting for my landlord to give me the OK to tackle such a project myself...

The Cult of the infitely baffled http://www.f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

Frantz

Port-au-Prince, Haiti

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
He was probably looking for a simple solution :) If the sub is in the adjacent room you will get sound, although not very high dpl. having the port 'pumped in' will help give you the dpl (sound pressure level) but will sound boomy since you hear more of the ported material than the sound from the speaker/cabinet itself. Yes, it wont sound good, but its a quick and dirty solution with very so so results.

If you build the sub into you house its a pain. Would be much easier to just poke a small hole or even do it cleanly with a faceplate with RCA connectiont going to the other room. Put the sub in the listening room and just cable your feed to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.