AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse the dumb newbie question. But I have an HTPC with Theatertek installed with region-free hack. My front projection system is set to NTSC. I was thinking of buying some region 2 DVDs from the UK (I am in the US).

My question is: can TheaterTek software convert the PAL discs to NTSC automatically or do I have to change my input on my actual projector to PAL in order to view PAL DVDs? I know that some region-free standalone DVD players have the capacity to convert PAL to NTSC. Does the HTPC?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
HTTPC does not really care if your source is of any frame rate. PAL is 25 fps (50Hz) and NTSC is 29.97 fps (23.97) or 60Hz. The problem is not on the DVD software player but on the video card drivers or how u want to output them via S-Video or VGA out or DVI.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
How do you output to the projector... If it is a high rez signal (RGBHV or DVI) then PAL / NTSC is moot... In this case you are not really outputting NTSC anyway...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
What about PAL speedup? Is it not an issue with a software player like TT or ZP?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy
How do you output to the projector... If it is a high rez signal (RGBHV or DVI) then PAL / NTSC is moot... In this case you are not really outputting NTSC anyway...
It is RGBHV so it looks like I will be okay? But what about the post above - PAL speed up? Will this be an issue or will the HTPC simply output the video at PAL framerate and frequency and will my projector (Sony G90) simply display this without any problem?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBlacklow
What about PAL speedup? Is it not an issue with a software player like TT or ZP?
PAL speedup is part of the nature of the transfer, and isn't corrected by normal playback of any software player.

I know some time ago, there were some people who were trying to use the features of WinDVD to fix PAL speedup, but from what I remember, it wasn't successful...

Jason

·
Registered
674 Posts
reclock can correct pal speedup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.