AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm currently piecing together a system as my budget will allow. I'm wondering if the 2 speakers I have from my Sony LBT-ZX66i could be connected to a receiver and used until I purchased something more appropriate.

Here are the speaker specs from the Sony website.

LBT-ZX66i USA model only
With 6-ohm loads, both channels driven,
from 120 Hz – 10 kHz; rates 170 watts per
channel minimum RMS power, with no
more than 0.7% total harmonic distortion
from 250 miliwatts to rated output.

The following are measured at
AC 120 V, 60 Hz
Front speaker
RMS output power (reference)
280 W + 280 W (per channel at 6 Ω,
1 kHz, 10% THD)

3-way BUILT-IN SW, Bass reflex

Super Woofer/Woofer: 170 mm(6 3/4 inches)/170 mm (6 3/4 inches)

Tweeter: 25 mm (1 inch), horn type

They have spring clips at the back of each speaker.

Just as an example I have looked at the Onkyo NR676 since the ~ $350 price is perfect for my budget. I plan on piecing together the Pioneer Andrew Jones set with a different center channel and subwoofer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm currently piecing together a system as my budget will allow. I'm wondering if the 2 speakers I have from my Sony LBT-ZX66i could be connected to a receiver and used until I purchased something more appropriate.

Just as an example I have looked at the Onkyo NR676 since the ~ $350 price is perfect for my budget. I plan on piecing together the Pioneer Andrew Jones set with a different center channel and subwoofer.
At 6ohms, and regular clips (non-proprietary) I see no reason why they wouldn't work with any amp/receiver. They are probably better suited for surround duty than fronts, however.

If you list your room size, total budget for everything, and listening usage/preference (mostly HT or music, prefer warmer or brighter speakers), folks here probably will make better recommendations for you.

The AJ speakers, to my ears, are much better suited for music than HT use. A decent budget alternative are Sony Cores. But if you prefer warm speakers, AJs/Elacs/Wharfedales are all options.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
The Speakers are NOT 6 ohms, rather the Amp's power is rated at 6 ohms, we, so far, have no way of knowing what the impedance of the speaker is, and that is the critical factor. The rated impedance of the speakers has to be 4 ohms or HIGHER.

So the only possible answer at this point is .... Maybe.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
The Speakers are NOT 6 ohms, rather the Amp's power is rated at 6 ohms, we, so far, have no way of knowing what the impedance of the speaker is, and that is the critical factor. The rated impedance of the speakers has to be 4 ohms or HIGHER.

So the only possible answer at this point is .... Maybe.

Steve/bluewizard
Yeah, if the speakers aren't actually 6ohms, I would be wary.
Sometimes with htib setups they use weird ohms with their speakers.

The OP should first doublecheck and make sure if they are in fact 6 ohms.

If not, it's not really a big deal to just buy cheap surround speakers anyway.
Daytons are like $35.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
In high value low cost (more or less) speakers, it is hard to beat these -

Yamaha NS-6490 8" 3-way Acoustic Suspension Speakers - $130/pair -

https://www.parts-express.com/yamah...ic-suspension-bookshelf-speaker-pair--312-606

In amazingly cheap speaker, I think these are the Daytons that were mentioned -

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

The Dayton AIR have a better tweeter.

Steve/bluewizard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts