AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these speakers that were bought in the 80's and am wondering

if they could be incorporated into a home theatre setup.

The main part of the room I will be using is 26 ft X 12 ft.

I am considering (possibly) a projection TV setup.

I have no amp in mind at this point, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Listed is the info that is on the speakers.

The speakers I have are:

Floor speakers (set) Avanti A 450 model

Speaker specs are:

Bass Reflex 2 way speaker system

Speaker 10"

woofer 4"

mid range 1" dome

response 30 - 20000 hz

cross over 1600 hz

power handling 10 - 45 watts RMS

imp 4 - 8 ohms

Wharfdale Diamond bookshelf speakers

Speaker specs are:

imp 8 ohm

power handling 75 watts

Sensitivity (1W 1m Anechoic) 86db

Drive Units

Bass/Mid 110mm MFHP

Treble 20 mm plastic dome

Freq Range (wall mountable) 50 hz - 20 khz

Crossover point 5 khz

Bass loading 5th order computer optimized Reflex

Internal Volume 5.2 litres

Since I am a complete neophite on these matters I will value your expert input.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I am no expert but you can really use any speakers you might have because they will do the job. Now how they will perform is another question that can only be answered by you when you listen. You said you haven't decided on an amp so that will make a huge difference on how your system will perform. Go and listen to as many recievers that you can and don't let the speakers you have hold you to settling for something you wont be too happy with. If you don't like how the speakers you have sound with the new Avr then you can replace them later. Also get a center channell that matches well with the main L+R. Have fun...........

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The matching center is usually listed along with the rest of the line-up.

If you're speakers are older than 2-3 years, chances are you might possibly have to settle for something else. I don't exactly know how to properly evaluate if the center would match your L+R other than bringing your front speakers (if they're bookshelves) when you audition the center channel.

Are those the Wharfedale Diamond 9 series or 8 series? If it's the 9 series then the corresponding center channels for them would be either the 9.CC, 9.CS or 9.CM.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
There are many ways to proceed here. You could find a used bookshelf speaker and set it in the center channel position. Mixing to match gets done all the time by many of us here.

I presume by the term 'amp' you are actually referring a receiver? There are lots of used AVR 5 channel receivers on the market, some good, some not so good. The best ones will do what you want to do at the least possible cash outlay.

If you don't mind refurbished or used AVRs, there are many good buys on ebay. There is also craigslist and the local want ads. Find something that interests you and post questions about it here or in the amps and receiver forums and you'll get years of experience & opinions about a particular brand or model.

You may want to post your budget for a receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts