AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ZT 65 inch plasma has what appears to be a burned in image. I have been running screen wipe for over 24 hours with no luck in getting it out. Is the only solution replacement of the TV? Since they don't have anymore that is probably not an option. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersvols  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24440303

ZT 65 inch plasma has what appears to be a burned in image. I have been running screen wipe for over 24 hours with no luck in getting it out. Is the only solution replacement of the TV? Since they don't have anymore that is probably not an option. Thanks for any help
24 hours is not a lot of time to run a wipe if the IR is very bad. It can take months depending on the severity.

When you say can they replace the panel, who are you talking about? No one except the Best Buy extended warranty covers burn-in so unless you have that you won't get a replacement from anyone else.

If you do have the BB extended warranty they would first have to see if they can find a replacement panel and if yes they would need to justify the cost as opposed to just refunding you the money that you spent on the TV. Odds are you would just get a refund.

·
Premium Member
18,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersvols  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24440303

How do you know it's actually Burn In and not just Persistent IR?

Exactly how did it get there in the first place?

How bad is it?

The screen wipe isn't very effective, try using the Pixel Flipper or JScreen Fix or Pixel Jogger as they seem to be more effective at wiping IR away.

Having the panel replaced would cost more than the TV is worth, if a new replacement panel is even available.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24440368

How bad is it?

The screen wipe isn't very effective, try using the Pixel Flipper or JScreen Fix or Pixel Jogger as they seem to be more effective at wiping IR away.

Having the panel replaced would cost more than the TV is worth, if a new replacement panel is even available.
Well it can always be considered burn-in until it fades away. At that point it can be considered IR.

No real way to tell the difference between the 2 until something happens or doesn't. 24 hours of treatment is not enough time to decide if it is burn in though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24440368

How bad is it?

I don't know for sure but I don't watch Sportscenter often so if its persistent IR or burn in it really doesn't matter to me. Seems like my TV is going to have this issue which is not normal. I do have the Best Buy warranty and it is still under panasonic warranty. I did not know if replacing the screen was even a possibility to fix the issue. Even if it is I don't know if it is likely the next screen would do the same thing. 

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Do I need to buy the disney wow cd or can i download it and use it that way. Forgive my ignorance buy I have no idea about this stuff

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersvols  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24440463

Do I need to buy the disney wow cd or can i download it and use it that way. Forgive my ignorance buy I have no idea about this stuff

Panasonic does not cover burn-in - they consider that neglect on your part (right or wrong). BB warranty as Eric said does cover burn-in. Disney's WOW disk is available for purchase only, blu-ray has been around $19.00 lately according to Blu-ray.com.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersvols  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24440556

How long should I run the disc?
See how it looks in a few weeks. If no change then maybe think about using your BB warranty. If there are no other TV's you are interested in right now you might as well keep the ZT60 for as long as your warranty is good for and if within that time something comes along you like check if the IR is still there. If it is, then cash in through your warranty and buy something new at that time.

I doubt that BB at this time would swap out the panel for you over just refunding your money. Not even sure if the ZT would even allow a panel swap due to the bonding process.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24440829

See how it looks in a few weeks. If no change then maybe think about using your BB warranty. If there are no other TV's you are interested in right now you might as well keep the ZT60 for as long as your warranty is good for and if within that time something comes along you like check if the IR is still there. If it is, then cash in through your warranty and buy something new at that time.

I doubt that BB at this time would swap out the panel for you over just refunding your money. Not even sure if the ZT would even allow a panel swap due to the bonding process.
That is exactly what I was thinking because its really not affecting my viewing experience. I would not have known if not for professional calibration lol. Anyone have an idea how long I should run the disc to start?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If it's "not affecting" your viewing, it's not burn in. And if you never knew you had it in the first place, I suggest taking up a new hobby.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24442544

If it's "not affecting" your viewing, it's not burn in.
I do not think the definition of burn-in has anything to do with it effecting ones viewing or not.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I remember reading a letter to CR once. It was from some hysterical forum cowboy who accused them of a big "coverup" because the forums were loaded with posts about scope readings on a highly rated TV. Their reply to the paragraphs long rant was simple: "not apparent in normal viewing". I'm absolutely sure half of these silly "burn in" posts come from people looking at screens with no signal input before they turn on their DVD players etc.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24443116

I remember reading a letter to CR once. It was from some hysterical forum cowboy who accused them of a big "coverup" because the forums were loaded with posts about scope readings on a highly rated TV. Their reply to the paragraphs long rant was simple: "not apparent in normal viewing". I'm absolutely sure half of these silly "burn in" posts come from people looking at screens with no signal input before they turn on their DVD players etc.
Defining burn-in is one thing, defining if it effects viewing is another. Whether or not it has a real effect on your viewing does not take away from the fact that an ESPN logo can be burnt into your screen.

If their is a logo on your screen that will not go away Best Buy's warranty will cover it. People will have different opinions on what effects them and what doesn't. One thing you can't argue with is if the logo is there or not. It is a pretty cut and dry answer and no room for a maybe.

Now the thing that is questionable, is whether it is burn in or IR. That is one that can't be proved and only time can tell you the answer to that one.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
With no signal input, a screen will almost always have artifacts of the last thing shown. This is not burn in. If you apply a signal and can see a logo THEN you could have image retention which shows itself above the minimal state of a panel with active signal. I wouldn't doubt the majority of all the forum IR nonsense stems from this. A problem which does not exist in viewing, but the customer "knows" it's there. This is one of the reasons no mfg warranties BI. This is like the police going to a little old lady's house because she wants to file obscenity charges against a neighbor. When they get there and inquire, she says "Here, you have to climb this tree and use my binoculars".

In consumer electronics you have the ideal and you have the real world. In the ideal somebody reads his favorite forum cowboy, buy a beanie with a propeller just like his, gets his set calibrated and watches test patterns with his beanie. You have no issues but your heart thumps when a new firmware comes out because it is gooder. If you think there is a problem nobody else can see, you must have a "bad one" of that series of panels.

In the real world, you plug in your tv, adjust it, and watch it and determine if your overall experience after watching many shows is good or bad. You can have a good laugh after you watch "Survivor" with fabulous color and detail and "Elementary" with green tinted shadows when you friend with beanie who spent 1/3 of his tv's cost to have it calibrated, tells you his green tinted "Elementary" was "better".

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersvols  /t/1521028/can-they-replace-the-screen-for-a-burned-in-image-on-a-new-tv#post_24454377

Thanks for the suggestions on how long to run the pixel flipper disc
Until the IR goes away? Not sure what other answer you are looking for.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It may take hundreds of hours to go away. I suggest running the Disney Pixel flipper for overnight. After that, any additional improvement will be extremely slow, so you might as well just watch content as normal. Eventually it will become very faint.

This is coming from someone who had some bad CNBC IR and it took 200+ hours for it to really become faint and only visible on white slides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts