AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few projectors over the summer i used quite a bit LP250 and i bought some extra lamps for them. I notice on e-bay a few newer projectors that use a similar bulb so i dug out my extra LP250 bulbs to look at the actual bulb to see if it was the same just using a different housing.

When i was looking at it i noticed in the reflection the glass that covers the element had a coating on it and when i was moving it around the blusih tint kinda changed in different spots. There was one spot in the corner that looked purple with an orange outline.

Is this from heat? or is it a tempered glass or somthing? Could it color the image in spots giving an ununiform image?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You should not see it, the light is fairly unfocused at that point. Any anomalies you see in the image will be the result of either dust on the LCD panels or burned polarizers. But any spots on the lamp should not be a factor. Unless of course, the entire face of the glass were obscured. Other than that, the only real impact the lamp will will have on the image is reduced brightness/contrast as the lamp ages.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/18187041

You should not see it, the light is fairly unfocused at that point. Any anomalies you see in the image will be the result of either dust on the LCD panels or burned polarizers. But any spots on the lamp should not be a factor. Unless of course, the entire face of the glass were obscured. Other than that, the only real impact the lamp will will have on the image is reduced brightness/contrast as the lamp ages.

That makes sence, thankyou. When you mention it there are defusers just on the othe rside of this wich would probobly mix the light up so i wouldnt even know where the spots would be anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Im planning on trying to put this lamp into an SP5000 wich uses the same bulb type but the stock SP5000 lamp is rated for 170 watts this one is only 150 think ill see much difference other then the brightness maybe?

I got this bulb for $99. for 6 of them and the SP5000 was just over $100. plus shipping so if it works i figure ive got right around $150. invested.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Lamps are not easily swapped. If you're 200% positive it is designed for your projector, then okay. But I've seen too many "dealers" selling lamps that were claimed to be "compatible", when in fact they weren't and the lamps didn't last for more than a few hours and the projector would shut down because the lamp went outside the operational parameters.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im 99% sure it will work, but im 100% sure im gona try.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/18190585

Lamps are not easily swapped. If you're 200% positive it is designed for your projector, then okay. But I've seen too many "dealers" selling lamps that were claimed to be "compatible", when in fact they weren't and the lamps didn't last for more than a few hours and the projector would shut down because the lamp went outside the operational parameters.

Well you were right, its not the same lamp. I did jerry rig it in and got it to fire up and give me a display so i could check its hours. It only has 139 hours on it so i think its worth paying the $200. to get a new bulb.

It does look very clean, the filter didnt have a spot on it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Wait, WHAT had 139 hours on it? Are you saying that the lamp had 139 or the projector? Because the lamp counter on a projector is nothing more than a glorified egg-timer, counting the hours that the projector is on. You can run a projector for 100 hours, replace the lamp, run for another 100 hours, and so on, and unless you reset the counter every time, the lamp hours will continue to accumulate in the projector. So if you went through that exercise 10 times, you would have 10 lamps, each with only 100 hours on them, but the projector would tell you it had run 1000 hours.

The projector has no way of knowing that the lamp you put is new, with 0 hours, or used with 1000 hours. It only knows what the internal counter was last at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts