AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question, but I did a search and can't find an answer here. I'm thinking about getting one of the Toshiba HD-DVD players and was wondering if it would work with my system. I have a Panasonic PT-AE500 front projector connected to a Denon AVR3300 via component cables. I also have a hi-def cable box and a Pioneer Elite DV47Ai dvd player connected to the receiver as well, which I use for video switching.

I keep reading that the full 1080p output is only available through HDMI, which neither my projector or receiver has. The projector is native 720p.

Will the Toshiba HD-DVD pass a 720p signal thru component outputs? I'm thinking that this would be the only way to connect it. Thanks

· Registered
6,159 Posts
Yes.

· Registered
5,562 Posts
your panasonic ae500 projector has a dvi input which with a hdmi to dvi adapter cable you can use the hdmi output on the toshiba hd dvd player.

afaik, hd dvd will play at 720p and 1080i thru the hdmi and component outputs.

sd dvds will only play at 480i/p thru component. hdmi output must be used to upscale sd dvds.

· Registered
259 Posts
If you buy an A1 make sure to update the firmware. Early firmware versions are broken and 720 will look inferior.

I use the 720p output for my Philips 768p television. I am very pleased.

Thank you for considering HD DVD.

-Byrd

· Registered
16,407 Posts
Five28, none of the HD or BD players will output 720p or 1080i over component for SD DVDs, only over HDMI (which you can connect to your projector with an HDMI-to-DVI cable). You can output 720p over component for HD-DVDs.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I wasn't very familiar with the hdmi / dvi standards and didn't realize that I could get a cable with dvi on one end and hdmi on the other. Sounds like that is the way to go. I appreciate the info.

· Registered
140 Posts
Five28,

With the 2.0 firmware both the 720P and 1080I outputs look very good on my 720P projector. I use the 1080I output because I feel it looks a little better with high motion sequences. Since the original picture is being read at 1080 resolution it really comes down to which you prefer doing the conversion to 720P; your projector or the player.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
Yep it outputs 480p/720p and 1080i not sure on 1080p yet. But most HDDVDs are 1080P(I think theirs one adult 720p HDDVD so far) native the player will convert to what ever you set it at.

All settings work and look great on my 30" Samsung CRT slimline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.