AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Central NJ. I am able two receive NYC DTV stations or Philadelphia stations. I was wondering if I can set up a second DIRECTIONAL antenna to point at the second city, combine both antenna coax cables with a reversed 2 to 1 splitter and then run the combined signal through my amp to my HDTV? Since they are directional I expect to be able to sidestep any ghosting issues? Any comments?

------------------

JD Sherman

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Lots of previous discussion on this topic, do a search in this forum for "jointenna", without the quotation marks.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, sorry for the repeat.

------------------

JD Sherman

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it helps that's exactly what I do in Yardley, PA. If you live near a freeway (as I do) be prepared to spend considerable time optimizing their relative positions to avoid multipath.

Keith Johnson

[This message has been edited by KeithOn18 (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
To properly use two of the SAME antennas, you would need to get a co-phasing harness, otherwise signal cancellation would ruin your signal.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
JD,

Tell us the channel numbers for Philly and NYC you wish to receive. It'll help alot in answering this question.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I added the second antenna in my attic and combined it with my existing NYC aimed Yagi using a standard 2 to 1 splitter backwards. It works! Without doing any fine aiming towards Philly (I was home alone the last two nights) I was able to get Philly and Trenton PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX digital networks. I did lose a couple of points of signal strength from NYC, it looks like it averages out to about 3 pts. of SS lost on each NYC channel. Not enough to affect reception. I did not use the same new antenna model as the existing one which may be why I'm not experiencing any phse problems. Since I heard to combined antennas might be problematic I bought a Winegard 8 bow tie to go along with my 100" RS Yagi. I figured if I couldn't combine them I could atleast experiment with two different antenna types. But it's working, most Phila stations are in the high 70s with no fine aming and the NYC stations are in the low 80s. Reception is fine. I'll post the exact stations and their SS after I fine aim, in a little while.

------------------

JD Sherman

Reactions: rushin16

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an RS rooftop type antenna in my attic, and a regular RS UHF rabbit ears near my TV. I joined them together using a regular cable splitter backwards, and now instead of having to fiddle around with the antenna in the attic during dropouts, I just fine tune the rabbit ears and it works! No rotor, and no climbing up and down everytime there is a dropout.

--JD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.