AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so at first I was excited when we bought this house because the builder has supposedly wired it for surround sound... well I just pulled the plates off the wall to check out the cable he used...

It's a single jacket around four 22AWG solid copper wires. They front speakers probably have about 15ft of wire, and the rears are probably 30ft.

If I connect two to each terminal at the speaker and at the receiver, will that make up for the wires being so small? It works with my shelf stereo... but who knows when I connect the real stuff...

Pioneer 1015TX

Polk RC85i fronts

Polk RC55i surrounds

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would rewire your room with at least 16 guage speaker wire. Disconect them from their terminals tape the new speaker wire onto the old on one end and pull the other. This way you dont have to do any fishing, very simple process that is not time consuming this way your ensured a good connection.

·
Registered
804 Posts
ah son of a *****....sorry

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Two 22 AWG is about equal to 19 AWG. That's marginal, but not a disaster. The worst that can happen is that the wire will attenuate the volume some.

Go ahead and try it. If it sounds okay, don't worry about it. It won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
19AWG isn't too bad I guess... and since I'm not a true audiophile I probably won't notice the difference... but I can't believe the builder didn't use something nicer... what a shlub.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Yep. Probably had an old spool of telephone cable laying around. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.