AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in Purchasing a Princeton 3.2HD. Does any technology exsist that can allow me to take a 16:9 image (DVD or HDTV) and display this image on the whole of the Princeton's 4:3 screen? While also keeping most of the resolution?

Thanks, JL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jl123
I was interested in Purchasing a Princeton 3.2HD. Does any technology exsist that can allow me to take a 16:9 image (DVD or HDTV) and display this image on the whole of the Princeton's 4:3 screen? While also keeping most of the resolution?
Even if there was (I don't know of any), it would by definition change the aspect ratio of the shot - basically, everyone would be tall and thin.

the closest you'll come is a 4x3 that does a raster squeeze - when receiving a 16x9 signal, it "squeezes" its electron gun so that it paints only in a 16x9 area, using full resolution. but you end up with unused area on the top and bottom of the screen (but this area isn't wasted on actually "painting" black bars with some of your TV's resolution). this is what I have, and I vastly prefer it since the majority of my TV watching is still TiVo'ed material in 4x3.

dinesh

·
Registered
155 Posts
16x9 is the more natural aspect ratio for the average eyes, and is the future. 4x3 is a thing of the past. Notice more and more commercials and promos are now in 16x9, compared with 5 years ago. Look at the TV's on a showroom floor, more and more widescreens, especially the high end stuff. Don't go back to 4x3.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm also going to get the AS3.2HD. Get it, don't get the AS3.0HDW (widescreen). I say this because the 3.2HD is a 32" TV with the aformentioned 'anamorphic squeeze' which produces a picture the same size as a 29" 'widescreen' TV, the AS3.0HDW is a 30" 'widescreen' TV so you'd only get 1" of extra viewing area and lose all the extra area for 4:3 pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.