AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what kind of wattage do people run in their cans?

I am looking to put cans directly above the seats in the theater and am wondering how much light is needed.

To be clear, these cans are intended for very minimal, basic room illumination at the brightest setting, but will mostly be used at lower levels to illuminate the actual seating area for task lighting while watching movies/TV shows. "House" lighting will be accommodated by separate wall sconces.

We are struggling to decide which cans to get and I was wondering what kind of wattage levels most people find "bright enough" for the above listed usage.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Remember that in addition to the level of light you want for watching a movie, you also need to be able to brighten the room for cleaning and other uses.

I have 50w bulbs in the 4" cans above my seats and 30 or 35w bulbs in my soffit cans.

I seldom turn them all the way up as they are usually dimmed to 25% or less, but it's nice to have the extra light when I need it.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I said, I will have 4 sconces on the walls for house lighting. The cans are meant specifically to illuminate the seating area. So that a person can use a laptop while watching something, without the light impacting the screen too much.

-Suntan

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
You need to speak with a lighting designer.

1. Wattage doesn't equal intensity (CFL, Quartz Halogen, standard tungsten, LED all different per watt).

2. Beam spread will need to be calculated for the application.

3. Not affecting the picture...wishful thinking. Just the way it is.

4. You need to have the overhead luminaries placed to avoid shadows on the laptop and glare from the screen.

Quite a challenge. OTOH, you could get lucky.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Above my seating positions I will have 2 five inch cans for each row. Since my electrical is not quite complete I have no idea what it will look like. My lighting designer thought this would be adequate for reading/computer use and the other four zones of light will be used for accent (like your sconces). Like Budk, everything will be on a dimmer, so it's unlikely they will be running at max (except possibly for room cleaning).

Also, as Dennis says, the spread of the bulb will make a big difference in how much light gets to your chair and how wide it spreads into the room.

Greg

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Just get a USB powered LED light for the laptop and use the area lighting for general lighting.

CJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
50w PAR or MR

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have 50W PARs in the 4" soffit cans and 75W PARs in the 6" ceiling cans. All narrow-beam.

"Regular" lighting scene has them illuminated at ~40-50%. "Bright" scene has them at 100% for cleaning, etc...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
How high is your ceiling?

What light level at the task do you deem appropriate?

What types of lamps?

How much area does each lamp need to cover? (i.e. beam spread)

Do you plan to control them individually?

etc. etc.

For best results, take Dennis' advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts