AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the article in SGHT (Jan 03) about SACD and DVD-A etc. I now know it will be a long time before I select one of these formats, if ever. Having been an audio enthusiast since the early 70s I can't wait for new innovations to improve the quality of home audio and video. I few years back I realized my dream of having a workable digital home audio setup. I like having multiple digital audio sources that feed into a single high quality D/A and then to my (multi-channel) amp and speakers.

Now here comes SACD and DVD-A with no (open) digital outputs. If I want one or both of these I must choose a proprietary (fire wire) digital interconnect, throw away my current system and go with a player and preamp from the same manufacturer. Of course I could just throw away my pre-processor and upgrade to one with an analog bypass that will allow me to play multiple channel analog through my new "digital" preamp. Now thats progress!!!

I could go on about other (HDTV) issues but I won't.

I don't like this helpless feeling. I wish there was a way that we consumers could fight back with a positive message that we want SACD and DVD-A but are tired of the copyright paranoia that force us to compromise on our HT setups.

I don't download movies or music from the internet except for when I want to sample something or unless it is out of print. Am I alone here?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
resqguy I feel you man. Digital Technology has benefitted us all but most of the benefits seem to go to the Manufacturers. Digital has allowed Cell and Telecommunication companies to address more users with the same bandwidth. Yet even today, as you mention, the "true" benefits of Digital have not reached fruition with the consumer. I view Digital Technology as a way to easily move data from one point to another while bypassing the typical problems associated with cable runs and other anomalies. I too wish I could buy "one DA to Rule Them All" and just pipe my devices into this DA. It may happen one day but by them the Music/Video will be so locked down who knows how portable this scenario will be. Sigh...we can only hope for now.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Let's allow DVD-A and SACD the same way we did DCC (Digital Compact Cassette). I have over 700 CD's a lot with Dolby Surround in changers, I don't need a new audio format.

:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really mind (re)buying prgram material for a new format as long as the new format is improved and I still have a choice. Now I could have complained about not being able to replace the cartridge on my TT but most of my LP collection is available on CD. I can deal with this.

I work in the Computer Storage industry. A new form of connectivity called Internet SCSI (iSCSI) is just about to become reality. Host computers will now be able to connect to disks using (Gigabit) Ethernet. This is the same way Internet backbones and WANs connect together. So the same hardware used for connecting networks can also be used to access storage, Cool!

Microsoft isn't freaking out about this, they aren't afraid that this technology will allow people to copy software more effectively (oh my God, I'm defending Bill Gates). In fact, Microsoft is pushing this technology.

So why is consummer audio and video different? People that buy most of the CDs and that are more likely to "share" music are kids. Why are Sony, Phillips, and the rest affraid to give us grownups an open High Fidelity digital format?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.