AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious, i own the panny PT-43LC14 RP LCD. not really worried right now b/c i purchased the 4 year extended warranty. the bulb is roughly $300 currently, i wonder if we can expect it to drop to $100-150 within the next 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Based on other posts in the past, probably not. But the JVC bulb has dropped from $250 to $200 over the last few months.

·
Registered
785 Posts
However, I would not expect them to drop too much, as like printer cartridges for ink jet printers, I am sure these bulbs are a cash cow in the bottom line at Samsung, Sony, JVC, and on...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek
However, I would not expect them to drop too much, as like printer cartridges for ink jet printers, I am sure these bulbs are a cash cow in the bottom line at Samsung, Sony, JVC, and on...
Well, hopefully like injet cartridges, generics will appear. I pay $5 per cartridge now for a part that would cost $28 from the mfr.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm looking for a 42" screen within the next month or so. The new Sony A10 at $1999 msrp is very tempting. My only hesitation is the idea of replacing a $250+ bulb approximately every year. I know bulb life varies widely depending on model, hours used, on-off cycles and just plain luck but, the initial $800 price differential between the A10 and a Panny plasma HDTV, could be gone within 4 years. With plasmas half-life listed at 60k hours, let's be somewhat conservative and say 45k hours life. At 8/hr day, thats 15 years, and hopefully we will all be on to a display that is bigger, better and cheaper by then. Which brings me to the question: Do you regret buying a bulb based display?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu
I'm looking for a 42" screen within the next month or so. The new Sony A10 at $1999 msrp is very tempting. My only hesitation is the idea of replacing a $250+ bulb approximately every year. I know bulb life varies widely depending on model, hours used, on-off cycles and just plain luck but, the initial $800 price differential between the A10 and a Panny plasma HDTV, could be gone within 4 years. With plasmas half-life listed at 60k hours, let's be somewhat conservative and say 45k hours life. At 8/hr day, thats 15 years, and hopefully we will all be on to a display that is bigger, better and cheaper by then. Which brings me to the question: Do you regret buying a bulb based display?
Sounds like you've been brainwashed in the plasma forum. You won't be approx. replacing a bulb every year. You get a 4 year EW and chances are you will replace one bulb (which is covered) during that time. If later on you choose not to get another warranty and you need a bulb the Sony A10 bulbs are $199 and sure to go down in price by the time you would need the 2nd bulb.

Keep in mind the Panny Plasma (like the 42PX50U) is 426 watts, so your electric bill will be higher. I am not putting the Panny Plasma down, in fact i was considering the model mentioned above, but for various reasons (like the lack of a PC input, and the higher cost of power) i have decided on the A10. With a new bulb the TV becomes like new. You will get many years of pleasure on the Sony. Also, the 42A10 can be had for $1899 at CC, lower at other places, while the Plasma is about $1000 more.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think the price of the bulbs will drop in the future, other third part companys will come into the market and start selling them. they just have to wait till the market is big enough then there will be company like GE or other ready to sell you that bulb for 100.00 dollars or so.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If the manufacturers have patents on the lamps, I think it will be a long time before you see a big drop in price.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
Sounds like you've been brainwashed in the plasma forum. You won't be approx. replacing a bulb every year. You get a 4 year EW and chances are you will replace one bulb (which is covered) during that time

Keep in mind the Panny Plasma (like the 42PX50U) is 426 watts .... Also, the 42A10 can be had for $1899 at CC, lower at other places, while the Plasma is about $1000 more.
Lord, I hate posts like this.

The guy may be misinformed about lamp life -- or not -- but you can't resist accusing him of being "brainwashed".

And by the way, you are probably not aware (note lack of insult) that plasmas only rarely use their rated power and average consumption is far less. The Panasonic won't use anywhere near 426 watts, but instead will average

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
Lord, I hate posts like this.

The guy may be misinformed about lamp life -- or not -- but you can't resist accusing him of being "brainwashed".

And by the way, you are probably not aware (note lack of insult) that plasmas only rarely use their rated power and average consumption is far less. The Panasonic won't use anywhere near 426 watts, but instead will average

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu

Another way to look at this is to ask yourself which has the better picture quality (to your eye).

Even if the 5 year cost of ownership swings a few dollars one way or the other, I think you'd be better off going with the set you like the most.

Its when the cost difference is large, i.e. 65" TVs, where you have to ask yourself how much extra you're willing to spend for how much better a picture.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
The "brainwashed" comment was meant in jest. But when you spend time in the Plasma forum people will undoubtably give misinformation to people who are trying to choose between a RP and a Plasma. Same as here, people will over state the burn-in issue with Plasma to sway people in the direction of RP. Yes, i know the plasma will fluctuate the power consumption depending on usage etc. but the plasma will still cost more over time than a RPTV. I hope you are not disputing that. There is absolutely nothing in my original post that isn't correct. If you buy the Panny plasma right now instead of the A10, the cost of the plasma, even after 4 years, will still not even be close to the Sony. That was the concern of the original poster, the cost of owning an RPTV as opposed to a plasma. I'm just stating the truth.
Actually, there are a lot of us in the plasam forum who are objective about RPTV.

And, no, I'm not sure an RPTV is cheaper over time than a plasma -- or at least not very much cheaper. I suspect on a 50-inch, the actual difference in power consumption would be around $20-30 per year or perhaps less. Over 30,000 hours, you'll need 4-5 lamps for the RPTV and that might run >$1,000 or more. If you somehow used all 60,000 hours of a current plasma, you'd end up spending less on it.

Even over 4 years, the cost of ownership is going to be equal or lower after considering the initial cost of purcashing -- which will, of course, be higher.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks for your input. I may still buy the 42" Sony A10 but, I'm going to take a serious look at Pio and Panny plasma's. As JimP stated above, ultimately it comes down to the PQ that looks best to me. With the 5year 'cost of ownership' more or less the same, it levels the playing field between LCD RPTV and Plasma.

PS- Buying this will keep me out of "The Old Pro" (Page Mill @ El Camino) on weekends during football season.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
I think we have been invaded by outsiders. :eek:
Quote:
wait till the market is big enough then there will be company like GE or other ready to sell you that bulb for 100.00 dollars or so.
and some Central American company to sell one for $25 :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.