AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really surprised that we really still (after many years now) have not had a professional (isf) person actually sit down with all the 34' inch HDTV's ---

Sony 34" XBR1/2, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sampo, Pansonic 3050

and really tell us which does what best-

I am only aware of Gary Merson doing a quick comparison of the Sampo and the Panasonic. And concerning Merson's test- my friend who spoke with Joe Kane said he disagreed with Gary because the Sampo had too many flat screen problems.

Anyway I'm sure someone could do a formalized test, instead of all the silly Good Guys comparisons I keep reading. The Question is who? Any thoughts on who it should be that could do such a test?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
One reason may be that none of the current 34" direct view sets are capable of truly displaying HD, due to the small screen size and large dot pitch (or stripe pitch) of the tubes. These sets can decode or accept HD signals but they do not have sufficient resolution to display real HD resolution, so they display the image at approximately DVD resolution.

None of these sets can resolve 1000 lines horizontally - a feat that almost any larger screen RPTV can accomplish with ease.

If you stand back just far enough so that you can't see the stripe pitch lines, you are already too far back to be able to see real HD detail. To really see HDTV you need a larger screen, or one with a finer dot/stripe pitch.

It would be nice if these direct view 34" sets were mini-HDTV monitors, but in reality, they are just stop-gap compromises.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yerigto,

I agree with you, not only are 34" 16:9's too small but as someone else on this board has said, they have no better resolution than regular HD compatible 32/36" sets. With this fact in mind I think I will now get a 27" inch and wait 2 years for bigger and better on the direct view front.

The question for me and others who want to wait is, for 27" size which set, Sampo, Princeton, Sony, Samsung or Zenith it tops?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Have you ever seen the HDTV I own The RCA direct view 38", it's only 4 inches bigger but it has capability of a 1280 X 1080I=

1,382,400 pixel display. In programming I have HBO no commercial movies with 2.35:1 movies that have black bars on them. My HDTV cost less than the 34 inch at only $2999. I am on webtv in full or stretch mode. I have an image of 17 inches by 32 inches, out the 19 inch vertical and 34 inches in width of inscreen measurments.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yeringto
These sets can decode or accept HD signals but they do not have sufficient resolution to display real HD resolution, so they display the image at approximately DVD resolution.
I suppose you have never seen one of these 34" TV's being fed a true HD signal or you would not have made this statement?

I recently sold my Panny 34" 16x9 HDTV because I bought a big screen Mits. However, the PQ with HD material on the Panny was vastly superior to my best DVD using a Progressive Scan Player.

Watch some of the PBS HD demo clips on these 34" HDTV's and you will see that it smokes a 480P DVD.

BTW, Gary showed that the Panny was capable of 683,000 Pixels which is way more than a DVD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is simply untrue that 34-inch sets produce an image equivalent only to a DVD. I did a lot of comparison viewing of 34-inch direct-view sets at the last two CES shows, and was left in no doubt that all of them -- even the relatively softer Konka -- delivered stunning image quality altogether superior to DVD signals. In the case of the Philips 34-inch (34PW9815), for example, I was able to switch between a DVD signal and the CES inhouse HDTV feed. The difference was unmistakable and spectacular. It was even striking on the 30-inch Philips (30PW9815)! Remember that HDTV is more than just increased resolution: it also offers vastly increased depth of color, total absence of color bleed and other virtues, all of which are definitely viewable on the smaller sets. Our more technical-minded members here too often forget that the only issue that matters ultimately is what the eye sees onscreen.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd also like to see the 34" direct views compared. I'm going to buy one of them as soon as i can figure out which one is the best overall. I like the sony xbr2 a lot, but i don't want to waste $1000 if another tv is just as good or better. My main concern is with getting the best one overall...price is not so important to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will agree with Andrew. I have the Toshiba 34hf81 with a Sony HD100 (incl OTA HD). The difference between an HD signal (i.e. HDNet, Jay Leno, etc) is FAR superior to my DVD signal in terms of clarity, depth, and color. Even my wife notices a significant difference.

Dan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Besides the great picture, the Sony XBR2 also has the best complement of connectors. I do not believe any of the other offerings have the 1394/firewire (or DVI) input connector. If you intend to keep the set for several years this could be an important issue.

Regarding the RCA. I just can't get over the gray bars on the left/right side for NTSC inputs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.